Comet and Belma hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHoarder

Reaction score
Recently I made this IPA using Gambrinus ESB malt and Comet/ Belma Hops. Just thought I'd post my recipe and tasting notes if anyone else was considering using these hops:

12 lite batch:

7.5 lb Gambrinus ESB Malt
12 oz Cara-Pils
12 oz Munich 9l
Hops:
1 oz Comet FWH
.75 Belma @15 min
.75 Belma @10 min
.75 Belma @5min
2 oz Belma 30 minute hopstand
US-05 yeast
2 oz Belma DryHop 7 days

I really love the malty/hoppy balance and the belma gives off alot of flavour and aroma. The Comet gave a mildly citrus/ grapefruit bittering foundation while the belma was more floral. Anyway this recipe is to me a keeper.

I really like Belma....I've found the flavors will change for the better with a little age...

Yes absolutely! The Belma hop burst combined with an aggressive dryhop really brings out the flavour and aroma. I'm loving the belma in this one.

Interesting combo of hops.

I have a pound of comet in the freezer, and Belma as well, and have used both, but not together. I'd assume the Comet would just run over the Belma in terms of what you taste the majority of. Belma is pretty weak other than for bittering, and Comet is so loud and skunky/dank and citrusy, with a hint of onion in it.

But, you only used Comet to bitter, so probably didn't get much of a huge flavor addition from it.

That was why I only used comet for bittering. A friend of mine made an IPA using only comet and Amarillo together and it actually turned out quite well. I just know with my IPA the bit of comet for bittering followed by an aggressive Belma hop burst worked well.

Back