Comeback batch - Is it done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onionz

Reaction score
So this is my first batch in 16 years. :rockin: Primary fermentation has stopped. I have measured gravity twice since. I don't have a FG yet but should next measurement. I am brewing the extract Belgian Dubble from NB. My dog ate the instructions, really. It has been three weeks today since I pitched the yeast. I don't want to rack to a secondary. When should I bottle?

Welcome back. I took a similar hiatus and came back a cpl yrs ago. I agree with Mothman. Just take a cpl samples that match a few days apart and your done.

A day after the last FG measurement take another one. If it is the same go ahead with bottling. You already have enough time. It should be done. If the gravity is continuing to drop at this point I would start worrying about infection. What is the gravity now?

I can't remember the instructions exactlly but it said to rack the beer and condition 2-3 weeks (don't remember the exact amount). Am I still good to bottle?

The beer looks pretty clear honestly. I think I'm gonna go for it. How much priming sugar per 22 oz bottle? I don't want to mix up the wort and stir up the trub. Plus last time priming the bottles worked well.

Bottle it and start drinking them in 2-3 weeks (after the 2-3 week bottle conditioning period. Most kit instructions go by the old standard 1-2 weeks primary 1-2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle conditioning. This is pretty old school. A Belgian Dubbel will benefit from some aging. I let the aging happen in the bottle. Put them aside for a couple of months.

I can't remember the instructions exactlly but it said to rack the beer and condition 2-3 weeks (don't remember the exact amount). Am I still good to bottle?

conditioning can be done in the primary and bottling. Once the yeast is done ferreting it goes back and cleans up the beer.

Welcome back. I took a 2 decade hiatus and enjoying it more than ever.

I'm looking for a per bottle measurement. I'm not positive of the gallons. Way back when I put a little in the bottle and filled it up. Is that not done anymore?
The Yeast I used is Omega Belgian Ale W.

It's pretty typical to prime the whole batch at once now. I primed my first batch individually using carbonation drops and it came out ok, but priming the whole batch at once and then bottling makes so much sense to me that I can't imagine doing it any other way now. Just put your priming sugar into a container that can hold the whole batch of beer, transfer the beer into the container on top of the priming sugar while making sure that the sugar mixes evenly throughout the beer, and then transfer that mixture into the bottles.

It's pretty typical to prime the whole batch at once now. I primed my first batch individually using carbonation drops and it came out ok, but priming the whole batch at once and then bottling makes so much sense to me that I can't imagine doing it any other way now. Just put your priming sugar into a container that can hold the whole batch of beer, transfer the beer into the container on top of the priming sugar while making sure that the sugar mixes evenly throughout the beer, and then transfer that mixture into the bottles.

Kinda defeats the point of no secondary. Oxidation and exposure to pathogens. But hey if thats what everyone's doing. Ok.

A day after the last FG measurement take another one. If it is the same go ahead with bottling. You already have enough time. It should be done. If the gravity is continuing to drop at this point I would start worrying about infection. What is the gravity now?

1.008 is the FG. First taken on 5/15.

Kinda defeats the point of no secondary. Oxidation and exposure to pathogens. But hey if thats what everyone's doing. Ok.

The main difference here is that in a secondary the beer is, unless special steps are taken, exposure to oxygen is for the duration of the secondary. Then to top that off people usually bulk prime anyway, compounding the problem. The exposure to oxygen is short in time and the small fermentation with the priming sugar consumes that small amount of oxygen in the bottle.

Make a priming solution, start a siphon swirling into your bottling bucket then add the solution. That mixes it well, a very gentle stir will ensure mixing.

Carbonation tabs are relatively consistent. Measuring sugar and adding to each bottle individually is not. It is difficult to measure the small amounts evenly. Plus it is far easier to mix the priming solution into the whole batch than to add sugar/solution to each and every bottle. In my case 50-56 times for a batch.

OK so I'm learning after the fact. I put the dry corn sugar into the empty carboy and then racked my beer on to it. I gave it a good shake and a stir. Did I screw up, or will the yeast in the bottle eat the oxygen? What does the oxidation do?

OK so I'm learning after the fact. I put the dry corn sugar into the empty carboy and then racked my beer on to it. I gave it a good shake and a stir. Did I screw up, or will the yeast in the bottle eat the oxygen? What does the oxidation do?

Oxidation makes it taste bad. I think the "right" thing to do is to dssolve the sugar in a small amount of water, boiled, add it to the bottling bucket, then rack into it. It will swirl together without stirring.

You're probably fine, and now you know a few better ways to do it :)

Back