Columbus, Simcoe & Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianflean

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to make an American IPA and wanted to use Columbus, Simcoe & Centennial, but realised I don't have any Centennial left.

Would Cascade work instead?

Was thinking:

20 Litre

20g Columbus 60m
20g Simcoe 30m
20g Simcoe 10m
25g Cascade 5m
20g Simcoe / 20g Cascade 1m
30g Cascade / 15g Columbus / 20g Simcoe F/O
25g Cascade / 15g Columbus / 20g Simcoe whirlpool

50g Columbus dry hop.

Would that work for a typical American IPA?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Absolutely, a bit of a different flavor but very true to style. Centennial is a deritive of Cascade

your hop schedule looks good.

personally, i'm not a fan of 30 mins additions. in my opinion they are a waste when it comes to IPAs: it's not long enough to get all the bittering, and too long to get any flavor. in a less hoppy beer with no late additions, i can see how 60 + 30 would make sense, but for a massively late-hopped beer like this one non of that 30 min will be perceptible. so i'd move it to 60 mins to get all the bitter potential out of it, or move it to the end of the boil to get the flavor and aroma.

have you put this in recipe software to check out how many IBUs this will give you?

Thanks both!

Brew pal tells me it should be 65 IBU, so I guess moving the 30m Simcoe to 5m would add flavour and not add too much bitterness?

Moving the 30m addition to 5m would mean it's 52 IBU. That's still fine for an American IPA yea?

That makes it 61 IBU. Winner. Thanks very much!

Is Columbus good to dry hop with or shall I just open a 100g packet of Cascade and throw it all in?

Thanks again for your help!

Well, 30g in the f/o & whirlpool additions, but I guess will not come through at all. Yep, will use Cascade. Or Simcoe? I have 100g of each..

yes, columbus is good to dry-hop with. very dank. simcoe is also very good - in fact, excellent.

even better: combine both. 100g for the dry-hop is entirely normal, why not do 50g of each?

Was err um quite looking for that particular aroma that when you open the bottle it smells like a coffee shop in Amsterdam (so I am told)..

Back