Columbus IPA - need help with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Hi All -

Making a new IPA with an emphasis on Columbus. I am not completely comfortable that I have what I am after. The grain bill and yeast choices I am 98% confident in, just the hops are concerning me.

I want the deep, smoky, dank citrus without being too "bitey"

Here is what I have so far - keep in mind that my whirlpool additions are for a 30-min steep at 160f. I really apprecaite your help

Columbus IPA.png

Hop schedule looks really good but maybe switch up dry hop ratio. You will prob get more citrus without the dank that you are looking for. I would lower the Amarillo down to one ounce and increase Columbus to 1.5 or 2 ounces. There are multiple comments I think on the Heady clone thread where people wished they had used more Columbus in dry hop. Either way should come out great

I would reduce the hopping down to just 2 or 3 varieties if you are trying to showcase Columbus.

My most recent IPA is just Columbus and Galaxy and is tasting phenomenal. Why not narrow it down to just Columbus and perhaps Amarillo or Simcoe? That would probably be a nice mix. That way, you bring more focus back into the hop you want to accent?

Just my thought, looks tasty regardless!

Probably just a typo, but your last amarillo dry hop is listed as 0 days. Good luck on the beer. I brewed up a DIIPA with Columbus and Cascade only and I really liked how it tasted a week after brew day.

Hop schedule looks really good but maybe switch up dry hop ratio. You will prob get more citrus without the dank that you are looking for. I would lower the Amarillo down to one ounce and increase Columbus to 1.5 or 2 ounces. There are multiple comments I think on the Heady clone thread where people wished they had used more Columbus in dry hop. Either way should come out great

Will definitely raise Columbus in dry hop. Nice point

I would reduce the hopping down to just 2 or 3 varieties if you are trying to showcase Columbus.

My most recent IPA is just Columbus and Galaxy and is tasting phenomenal. Why not narrow it down to just Columbus and perhaps Amarillo or Simcoe? That would probably be a nice mix. That way, you bring more focus back into the hop you want to accent?

Columbus and Galaxy? nice................

Love that thought. What kind of ratio? 2:1 Columbus/galaxy?

I did one a couple months ago that was just columbus and Galaxy...it was outstanding. My wife and friends want me to repeat that one.

Columbus and Galaxy? nice................

Love that thought. What kind of ratio? 2:1 Columbus/galaxy?

Yep, based after my favorite IPA of all time... DDH Congress Street (Trillium).

All bittering additions were Columbus (FWH, 20min and 10min additions).

Then Columbus was 75% of the whirlpool, 25% was Galaxy.

Dry hop, the tables turn... Galaxy was about 75% of the dry hop quantity between both additions.

Overall ratio between Columbus:Galaxy in the entire recipe was 1:1.27

So I did use more Galaxy than Columbus, but trust me, you can taste that wonderful dank character of Columbus in this one through and through. It's incredible stuff.

Yep, based after my favorite IPA of all time... DDH Congress Street (Trillium).

All bittering additions were Columbus (FWH, 20min and 10min additions).

Then Columbus was 75% of the whirlpool, 25% was Galaxy.

Dry hop, the tables turn... Galaxy was about 75% of the dry hop quantity between both additions.

Overall ratio between Columbus:Galaxy in the entire recipe was 1:1.27

So I did use more Galaxy than Columbus, but trust me, you can taste that wonderful dank character of Columbus in this one through and through. It's incredible stuff.

Sounds exactly like mine in ratio and placement: 3.4 oz columbus, 4 oz Galaxy.

Back