Columbus IPA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkling

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got a load of Columbus whole cone hops and I want to make a single hop IPA. I'd be interested in feedback on the hop schedule. It's pretty straightforward atm.

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Pale Ale Malt (2.8 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 44.0 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (15 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

cultured Sweetwater IPA yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.49 %
Bitterness: 67.7 IBU
Est Color: 8.9 SRM

I meant to reply to this the other day...how much is a "load of Columbus"?

That is by far one of our favorite hops...we just brewed our "120 minute" version with all Columbus :)

We also have another IIPA all Columbus.

~8oz for a 5-6gallon batch.

Hey All,

I've got a load of Columbus whole cone hops and I want to make a single hop IPA. I'd be interested in feedback on the hop schedule. It's pretty straightforward atm.

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Pale Ale Malt (2.8 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 44.0 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (15 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

cultured Sweetwater IPA yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.49 %
Bitterness: 67.7 IBU
Est Color: 8.9 SRM

Looks good, but where is the FWH addition? Cmon... if you have a load of it, you need to FWH it!

Looks good to me. I don't particularly like Victory in my IPAs I usually use crystal and carapils.

I agree that you would do a FWH addition.

Thanks for the replies. I used to have a pound of Columbus cones. I've got between 8 & 12 oz atm.

I think a FWH addition is a great idea. If I'm trying to keep this between 60 & 70 IBU, should I just shift the 60 minute hops to FWH?

It wouldn't be very bitter if you only have a FWH then no more hops till 30mins

That just hasn't been my experience. FWHing seems to make the bitterness "smoother", but you're still boiling those hops for 60+ minutes.

Beersmith calculates out the IBUs on FWH as 10% higher than just boiling hops (but it's a smoother bitterness). If I had a 1oz FWH and a 1 oz 60 min, it would up the IBUs from 69 to 119. That would be excessive for a regular IPA.

I understand what FWH does I am just telling you what a Judge said about my beer when I did a FWH then didn't add anything till 30mins.

When I got my sheet back the only complaint was that it wasn't bitter enough for an American IPA. I can't remember if I FWH with an ounce of Simcoe or Columbus but either way I think you should add something at 60, say a half an ounce.

Also Beersmith calculates IBUs but you could have a beer that has an IBU of 70 and one that has an IBU of 100 and the 70 can taste more bitter.

I dont understand why people want to FWH an IPA, especially using Columbus!

Isn't the point that the bitterness slaps you right in the face? Trying to smooth out Columbus should be a crime :tank:

I never said I didn't like the bitterness, I was merely saying I don't want all bitterness and not have any aroma or flavor. FWH adds a lot of flavor to an IPA and makes the hop profile more balanced.

In how to brew, palmer says to only use low alpha hops but I really like the flavor that columbus has so I use it as a flavoring hops as well as FWH.

I recently made an all Columbus IPA with very similar hopschedule, just moved the 15min. additions to 30min. and used only base malts (12lbs) and crystal (1.5 lbs).

It is very good, quite hoppy. Sadly it is almost gone... On your recipe I would bump up the base malts a bit to balance out the bitterness and do base and crystal only.

Good Luck.. you won't need it.
Hommel Homebrew.

I know what FWH does - just doesn't tickle my fancy in an IPA (and I've brewed FWH IPAs).

Drink a pale ale if you dont want the bitterness :p

A-freakin-men! I don't get all the fwh nonsense when it comes to IPA's. If you don't appreciate the bitterness don't brew them. I've tried it and in not impressed. And you won't change my mind.

A-freakin-men! I don't get all the fwh nonsense when it comes to IPA's. If you don't appreciate the bitterness don't brew them. I've tried it and in not impressed. And you won't change my mind.

To each his own. I don't get were the hang up is on the whole bitterness thing. I think that we are all in agreement that IPAs need to be bitter. I do a FWH for hop flavor after the initial bitterness caused by the 60 min addition.

People are so protective of their IPAs :mug:

People are so protective of their IPAs :mug:

Damn straight! IPA's are the Holy Grail of beers. Mmmmm, I loves me an IPA!
bliss.gif

bliss.gif
bliss.gif

bliss.gif
bliss.gif

Hey All,

How did this turn out?
I'm gonna take a swing at this using wet cones off my Columbus this week (pretty sure I have enough that are ripe to make this, guessing I'll need about a little over a pound of wet hops).

How did this turn out?
I'm gonna take a swing at this using wet cones off my Columbus this week (pretty sure I have enough that are ripe to make this, guessing I'll need about a little over a pound of wet hops).

I tapped this beer just this week and i've got to say, I like it a lot, but I don't love it. For my tastes the malt is just about perfect & I love the combined flavor of 15L crystal & victory with the pale malt. However, I think I would have preferred something else mixed in with Columbus. The hops just came out a bit one dimension to me. I think I would have preferred a more complex flavor & aroma profile. But it did give me a great sense of Columbus hops & I do think it came out very good, just not stunning.

Why would a FWH affect the bitterness of an IPA? The IPA is just as bitter, FWH doenst change the bittering hops at all, right?

Back