Columbus hops for flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
Columbus seems to be a pretty well-loved hop as a bittering hop, for good reason. My question is, what is people's experience with it as a flavoring hop? I'm working on an APA (~1.040-1.050 SG, 40ish IBU) using primarily Columbus hops. I know they're great as a bittering hop, thanks to the IPA in my sig, but I'm thinking they're clean enough to use as a flavoring hop too. Experiences?

I added 1oz Columbus pellets with 2min left in the boil on my most recent IPA experiment. 1 more week of dry hopping(1oz Galena) and into the bottles. Won't be a total Columbus aroma.

I just made a batch (AHS Stone IPA clone) that used Columbus hops for aroma and dry hopping. It seems to have worked very well (beer has a nice citrus aroma).

The hop schedule was:
1 oz Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz Columbus 15 minutes
1 oz Columbus 5 minutes
1 oz Columbus in secondary

Columbus was not the hop called for in the original recipe (it was a hop shortage substitute), but it seems to have worked well. I think the recipe originally called for Centennial instead.

Thanks. That tears it for me: Columbus will figure prominently in the APA I'm working up.

Back