Columbus and Cascade schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
I have 2oz of Columbus and 4 oz of Cascade, and I want to make a pale ale for the 4th.

Need a hop schedule suggestion for 5 gal. Never made anything with Columbus, I don't have a ball park idea on how to use it.

Thanks in advance

1oz columbus at 60 or as a firs wort hop
1oz columbus at 30
1oz of cascade 20
1oz of cascade at 10
1oz o cascade at flame out
1oz of cascade dry hop in secondary

thats going to be alot of ibu's

Oh nice, beer smith gave that a 116IBUs!

That a tad high for an PA. :mug: I'll play with it though and see if I can bring it down to 60ish. I want to brew something that will be ready to force carb in 4-5 weeks.

What kind of flavor should I expect from the Columbus?

EDIT:

I dropped the Columbus down to 0.5oz for the 60 and 30 and that brought my IBUs down to 66. That will make me happy! I'm gonna give this a shot, Thanks! Its not that I don't like IBUs, I just don't want to wait that long for something that high to properly mature :)

Id use 3oz of cascade in the boil and 1 oz of Columbus for the 5 or 0 min addition, and dry hop with a oz each.

That sounds good. I have really enjoyed my last pales and IpA's that most of the IBU's have come from late additions and big dry hop combinations.

Columbus to me comes off dank, piney with citrus rinds in the background. Hell of a hop that I have used for bittering mostly, but also flavor. I love it, and it really cuts through, lacks subtlety which I like in most American styles.

Thanks for the info!

I want to do both now, the front load and late addition of the Columbus. I wonder if my LHBS is gonna be open today, this sounds like a great opportunity to learn, and drink beer.

I'm stoked about the Columbus, I've been loving Simcoe, but I need a change, and I want something with more bite, I think this might do it!

Enjoy the 4th!

1oz columbus at 60 or as a firs wort hop
1oz columbus at 30
1oz of cascade 20
1oz of cascade at 10
1oz o cascade at flame out
1oz of cascade dry hop in secondary

thats going to be alot of ibu's

^^ this beer came out unbelievably awesome! It taste very similar to SN's Torpedo.

I dry hopped with both columbus and cascade. This is by far the best ale I've brewed yet! Its getting better as the week goes by (I force carbed), the Columbus is very dry and bitter and the cascade is just wonderful.

Thank you!!

I used Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade in my IPA. I did 25 minutes for all hop additions of 1.5oz each. The order of Columbus>Nugget>Cascade worked wonderfully with the remaining .5oz of each dry hopped for 1 week. The combination gives lemon,grapefruit,orange aroma & flavor. It also has an earthy,spicy thing going on under all those citrus flavors.
For an APA,I'd use the Columbus & cascade,great combo. I used US Perle & Czech saaz in my 1st APA,& the smooth spice was great. The combo also cut the Saaz's piney thing down to a nondescript citrusy brightness on the back of the malt flavor. It amazed me that combining the two would change that piney thing into something better. The hop schedule for my APA is;1oz hops @ 20mins,.5 oz of 2nd hop @ 10mins,with last .5oz of 2nd hop @ flame out for 10 minute steep.

Just brewed a PA with columbus and cascade.
1 oz columbus 60 min
1oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz cascade 5 minutes
1 oz cascade flame out
1 oz cascade, 1 oz columbus dry hop secondary
I think the IBUs came out around 60ish

Just brewed a PA with columbus and cascade.
1 oz columbus 60 min
1oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz cascade 5 minutes
1 oz cascade flame out
1 oz cascade, 1 oz columbus dry hop secondary
I think the IBUs came out around 60ish

Any words for how this came out?

Back