Colorado Brewing Systems has ceased operations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad. I wonder if this is an emerging trend. I have some contact with a local brewery that grew out of a local restaurant and brew pub. Urban, upscale establishment with great food and ambience. Beer that is equally epicurean (best Kolsch I ever had, outside of actually drinking it in Koln), and the off-premises micro brewery and retail sales that outgrew its on-site footprint. In talking with the head brewmaster, I know times have been tough. I know a local outlet that used to stock their beers no longer has them on the shelf. We've already lost one local micro recently, not to mention the disaster for local eateries and their employees.

This damned pandemic can't end soon enough. Get vaccinated as soon as you're eligible, and as my governor implores: "Wear the DAMN mask."

Between Frederick and Hagerstown. Didn't vote for the Gov., but I sure like his style.

Brooo Brother
I live in Harford County, My sister lives in Mt Airy, lots of great brew pubs in Frederick.
I voted for him, I'm a pretty big fan of most of his work.

That's a bummer, a local brewery uses one of their pro systems, it look s like this:
1614090171778.png

At one time, I was interested in one of their home systems, but decided to go the other direction and downsized, I guess a lot of other folks did the same. Lots of competition in the Smaller Brewery equipment business, and right now there is a lot of used stuff on the market from all the closures.

Here in north central NC, the local taproom/brewpub market seems to be going strong. I frequent all the major players and they are all seem to be as busy as they want to be.

Frederick has a great 'beer' heritage from the early German immigrants who settled the area in pre-revolutionary war years. Many great restaurants and watering holes. The whole Brewer's Alley area in downtown was actually the 'alley' where all the breweries were located. Of course that's where Brewer's Alley restaurant is located today. Hagan's Tavern, which has changed hands several times in the last ten years and is presently closed, is literally a place where George Washington actually slept.

You may have heard that Barley and Hops shuttered last fall. Numerous other pubs are open but struggling. Still, Flying Dog is booming, and the corporate headquarters has moved from Denver to Frederick. My LHBS, the Flying Barrel, manages to stay open and in business after at least 35 years.

Here's to hoping we'll soon have this pandemic behind us. I sure missed not having any beers entered in the Great Frederick Fair competition last year. Only time it's been canceled in well over 100 years. Plus the Oktoberfest week that comes right after the fair is always a great time. It'll knock your socks off, as well as your lederhosen.

Not quite Munchen, but pretty dang close! Prost.

Brooo Brother

In my state, you still have to buy a meal if you want a drink and the seating is at 50%. I went to a brewery for the first time in about 8 months last weekend and told the owner I was thankful he was still operating. There was supposed to be another local brewery opening, but that was put on hold, and has now been suspended indefinitely.
Approximately 700 new breweries opened in 2020, but I can't find nationwide statistics for closings, but there are many articles that have state by state numbers of closings across the country. Some of these breweries were having problems and might have shut down even without the pandemic.
https://newschoolbeer.com/home/2021/1/oregon-brewery-taproom-closed-2020
Planning and purchasing equipment for new breweries has most likely slowed down as craft beer sales shrank again in 2020 and the uncertain near term market would cause lenders to want to hold off approving new loans until the market situation becomes clear. A small manufacturer like Colorado Brewing Systems needs constant new orders and cash flow to pay the bills, I had a similar situation in 2007 (not brewing equipment) and had to shut down because the orders and cash flow dried up.

Last edited:
Here in north central NC, the local taproom/brewpub market seems to be going strong. I frequent all the major players and they are all seem to be as busy as they want to be.

Carolina seems to have a very vibrant brewing scene from Raleigh to Charlotte to Asheville. My son-in-law's brother was an executive chef in Asheville but recently relocated to Charlotte. Wife and I have been frequent visitors to the Asheville area, and it's amazing how the brewery scene has exploded there in the last 10 years. It's gone from an "artsy" enclave in the mountains to a bustling tourist destination, but has somehow managed to avoid becoming just another Gatlinburg. Lots of excellent breweries, from micro to macro, in Asheville.

Brooo Brother

...A small manufacturer like Colorado Brewing Systems needs constant new orders and cash flow to pay the bills, I had a similar situation in 2007 (not brewing equipment) and had to shut down because the orders and cash flow dried up.

Ah, the recession...Yep, had to close down a business I had started several years earlier and lay off employees as a result of that little gem.

Carolina seems to have a very vibrant brewing scene from Raleigh to Charlotte to Asheville. My son-in-law's brother was an executive chef in Asheville but recently relocated to Charlotte. Wife and I have been frequent visitors to the Asheville area, and it's amazing how the brewery scene has exploded there in the last 10 years. It's gone from an "artsy" enclave in the mountains to a bustling tourist destination, but has somehow managed to avoid becoming just another Gatlinburg. Lots of excellent breweries, from micro to macro, in Asheville.

Brooo Brother

Yes it is. So much so that I am considering throwing my name in the collective hat.

I wonder if the basic simplicity of BIAB was why? Pretty much anyone can easily fabricate a similar setup for much less I think. It's just a large but basic kettle, add some ports for elements and valves, a simple mesh basket and a hoist.

I live in a small town in Eastern Canada. The bar scene is dominated by the commercials, but there is a reasonably vibrant micro brewery scene. One of the larger local micros is owned by my wifes cousin. Hes informed me he cant keep up with demand. Even during pandemic, and having to close his tap room for most of 2020. I dont know if he was just fleecing me, but other peoples comments support this claim. I reckon, in some areas, the pandemic has just taught people how much easier it is to shop online, and go pick it up. In others areas, and certainly industries, its been catastrophic.

I wonder if the basic simplicity of BIAB was why? Pretty much anyone can easily fabricate a similar setup for much less I think. It's just a large but basic kettle, add some ports for elements and valves, a simple mesh basket and a hoist.

That's definitely not it. I sell tons of BIAB systems to people who are not interested in cobbling or fabrication. Cobrewing just had a very expensive version of that one kind of system and not enough product diversification. Supply chain is definitely an issue for all of us at this point, but demand is as high as ever.

I live in a small town in Eastern Canada. The bar scene is dominated by the commercials, but there is a reasonably vibrant micro brewery scene. One of the larger local micros is owned by my wifes cousin. Hes informed me he cant keep up with demand. Even during pandemic, and having to close his tap room for most of 2020. I dont know if he was just fleecing me, but other peoples comments support this claim. I reckon, in some areas, the pandemic has just taught people how much easier it is to shop online, and go pick it up. In others areas, and certainly industries, its been catastrophic.

Our local brewery started two years ago so there isn't much of a comparison for pre-pandemic years but they have been expanding like crazy over the last year to the point where they are now almost at capacity for the building they are in which was expected to take 5 years or more to reach when they opened. Great problem to have I guess.

Latest posts

Back