Colorado Beer in Europe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eucrid

Reaction score
What is it about Colorado that they export so much to Europe? I'm in Ireland and we get O'Dell, Ska, Great Divide, Oskar Blues and Left hand. I can't think of another state that has so many Breweries here. And then I read here that some of these beers aren't available in many US states.

So why is Colorado such a prolific exporter of craft beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

WTF? I don't get Odell or Left Hand (and I don't think we get Ska), and I'm in California...

This is why I'm puzzled. I've seen interviews with some of the brewers and they talked about how they're in 16 states and I thought "what the hell I can get those beers in rural Ireland".

I'd agree with FarmerTad. The same distributor and maybe trying to build the whole craft brew market like they have in the states. I don't know if the same thing is happening in Europe. I was surprised when I went to the Guinness brewery and they had Bud on tap. I thought it was a joke, but the bartender said it was the third largest selling beer in Ireland.

Budweiser is brewed by Diageo over here, Diageo own Guinness and have a massive stranglehold on the market.

Because the beers here are killer, obviously. We have Coors and Budweiser!!!

Suck it, everybody else!

Its a distributor thing. The beers are usually shipped via Sweden, Avery is also on that list. Several of those breweries will piggy back the shipment on the same truck. Ska and GD ship together for sure.

As to why not other states but Europe, it's a REALLY small shipment to Europe, usually one time a quarter or twice a year. No way a new state could be opened up that small

Excellent info. I can totally believe that every 3 months/6 months because freshness varies massively.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No they are not. They're American labels, they have the surgeon generals warning on them.

This is why I'm puzzled. I've seen interviews with some of the brewers and they talked about how they're in 16 states and I thought "what the hell I can get those beers in rural Ireland".

Alcohol distribution in the US is crazy stupid regulated due to remnants from Prohibition repeal and the accompanying three-tier distribution system, among other things. Basically, alcohol distribution in the US is a mess due to 50 different states having 50 different types of policy. In addition, large producers use their power to regulate competition in the same way that restaurant chains must make a choice to sell either Pepsi or Coca-Cola but not both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-tier_(alcohol_distribution)

the same way that restaurant chains must make a choice to sell either Pepsi or Coca-Cola but not both.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here, but I can agree, the beer distribution system in the US is f***ed up and illogical.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You almost never see Bass in the UK, but it's been in the US since I've been coming here.

Similarly, you very rarely see Sam Smith's in the south of England, but it's easy to find in Massachusetts.

The vagaries of distribution...

Back