Color of all-grain wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I just finished my first all-grain batch and it's an easy APA with mostly US pale malt and a tiny bit of of crystal 60L. The wort came out really dark (like a brown ale). Recipator said it should be about 7 SRM. Will it get lighter or did I do something wrong?

Most likely it's simply because of the volume of liquid you're viewing. When you rack to your secondary you'll see the actual colour in your hose. I wouldn't worry.

mew said:
I just finished my first all-grain batch and it's an easy APA with mostly US pale malt and a tiny bit of of crystal 60L. The wort came out really dark (like a brown ale). Recipator said it should be about 7 SRM. Will it get lighter or did I do something wrong?

What were the exact amounts of those malts?

I guess it was a bit lighter in the hydrometer tube, but not as light as I would have expected. I was doing a 2.12 gal batch (I love the small batch concetpt, by he way) and used 5 lbs US pale malt and 2.5 oz Crystal 60 L. For a five gal batch that translates to 11.8 lbs US pale malt and 5.9 oz Crystal 60 L.

Which US pale malt? Briess? It is kind of hard to gauge the color until you've fermented and conditioned imo. To me at least, it always seems to change from just off the lauter to the end product.

Didja burn the wort in the kettle? Too much heat will carmelize the sugars, making things darken. It happens to every batch, to some degree.

Yeah, it was Briess. I don't think I applied too much heat because my stove is weak and it didn't seem to darken that much.

mew said:
Yeah, it was Briess. I don't think I applied too much heat because my stove is weak and it didn't seem to darken that much.

You know if you used their "Pale Ale" malt instead of the Brewers 2 row (sometimes websites refer to this one as Pale Malt) it has a 3.5 lovibond rating. So if you were counting on a Pale-er Pale malt color another brand Pale Malt may be in order. However, even with that rating plus the addition of the Crystal 60 you'd hit around a 10 Lov for 5 gallons with the lbs. of malt you specify.

Fwiw, though if you did use that malt (really nice malt imo) it will give you a richer flavor over the paler ones.

Is it an electric stove? If the heating element is in direct contanct with your pot it can promote maillard reactions and wort darkening in the wort of the bottom of the pot in direct contact with your heating element.

I'm not exactly sure what type of malt I used anymore. I thought it was 2-row, but I'll have to go back to the LHBS and see.

Yeah, my stove is electric. It's pretty wimpy and annoying. Getting a propane burner seems a little overkill for my small batches, though.

Latest posts

Back