Color Issue - What Went Wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les2point0

Reaction score
Earlier today I brewed an Irish Red that came out medium-dark brown. Below is my grain bill for a 5 gallon batch

7 lb Maris Otter
2.5 lb Munich
1 lb Melanoidin
3.5 oz carafoam
3.5 oz aromatic
3.5 oz roasted barley

Irish Ale yeast, 10 HR starter (not on purpose)

1 oz east kent @ 60
1 oz fuggles @ 15

I understand aromatic, munich and melanoidin are all the same or at least extremely similar grains, but the way I had it plugged into beersmith had it coming in around 14.4 SRM which is exactly where I wanted it. The wort flowed out of the mash tun a stiff brown, looking like a light porter. My efficiency was low, i was shooting for 1.060 and flew in around 1.054. I believe the LHBS doesn't crush grains very fine. Could the color greatly change during the fermentation, or could there have been a problem with my grain bill? What do you guys think? It's also my first beer of the brew season so maybe I'm just getting first brew paranoia.

Thanks guys, and happy brewing!:tank:

RDWHAHB

Wort from runnings has lots of **** in it. A lot of it will ferment out, a lot of it will fall to the bottom, and only some of it will remain in the finished product.

Plus, you know what I call an Irish Brown Ale?

Delicious.

Back