Color Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnye

Reaction score
So question about beer color.

I made a sierra nevada pale ale clone, and first of all its INCREDIBLE, very close to the original. My question lies with the color of my beer.

When I bottled the color was spot on. Just where I wanted it to be. Now at drinking time after 3 weeks in bottles it is a great deal darker. Anyone ever had this or know what causes it?

Thanks!

This has and does happen to me. The beer will darken from oxidation. Are you getting sherry and/or wet cardboard flavors from it too?

really? I'm usually pretty good about oxidation and avoiding it.....no strong flavors. Like I said its really good just color. The couple I have had were just in six pack holders so could have got exposed to more light than ideal but they are in a closet. Could light exposure be the issue?

I think it's more likely that you just had yeast drop out of suspension. Is this an extract beer? Those tend to be a bit darker than equivalent grain beers, not that it matters except for aesthetics.

Yeah it is an extract. I guess maybe it's just dark. Oh well its delish!

I must concur with malfet. The percieved color will darken as the yeast that reflects more light settles out in the bottles. that typically happens in about 3 days after bottling with mine. Then I can see the vbeer's true color,especially with th lighter amber Franziskaner bottles. The German bottles generally seem a bit lighter in color & seal really well.
Anyway,I think it's more yeast settling than some oxidation issue.

I must concur with malfet. The percieved color will darken as the yeast that reflects more light settles out in the bottles. that typically happens in about 3 days after bottling with mine. Then I can see the vbeer's true color,especially with th lighter amber Franziskaner bottles. The German bottles generally seem a bit lighter in color & seal really well.
Anyway,I think it's more yeast settling than some oxidation issue.

What they said. "Perceived" color is the key word.

Latest posts

Back