color and no flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
If you wanted to make a dark version of a normally light beer (say a wit or tripel), is it possible to do without adding out of style flavors? Could I steep say roasted barley and chocolate malt at like 104F for 15mins and get the color I want without any of the flavors that come with it?

I think chocolate and/or roasted barley give some flavor, even in small amounts. If I just wanted a dark color without any flavor, I'd use an ounce or two of carafa II. But an ounce or two of chocolate malt might be ok.

I think chocolate and/or roasted barley give some flavor, even in small amounts. If I just wanted a dark color without any flavor, I'd use an ounce or two of carafa II. But an ounce or two of chocolate malt might be ok.

I figured 1-2 oz would be ok, but it doesn't get me as dark as I was hoping (like 30+ SRM). Unfortunately, that's going to take me like an additional 400L. Could I use whole grains to accomplish it?

You want debittered black malt (carafa II or III I believe). These versions are huskless and add much less flavor than other roasted malts. If you need even more color without flavor, Sinmar is the ticket. Its an extract made from debittered black malt.

If you are all grain, I believe you can throw in some debittered black/carafa special; not in the mash, but at the beginning of the sparge... havent done it, but thats what Ive read, and thats what I plan to do for a Black IPA.

If you are all grain, I believe you can throw in some debittered black/carafa special; not in the mash, but at the beginning of the sparge... havent done it, but thats what Ive read, and thats what I plan to do for a Black IPA.

cool, can you let me know how that goes?

Back