College Rookie: Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylerro

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post. I’m a college student and would like to start wine brewing as a hobby. I’ve been looking at kits but there are so many I don’t know what to start with. Could anybody give me advice on starting, especially on equipment. I would like to start with a perhaps one month project to get myself hooked on brewing.

Start with a kit for a wine you like to drink. I bought a wine making kit for around $20 a couple of years ago that made a kinda dry white wine. It was OK , but I've found out that I can make better. Try a kit first to see if you like it. If you do, invest in some gear and start a 5 gallon batch.
This is a great hobby, especially lf you like to drink !

I have found that it isn't worth making kit wines unless you buy top quality kits. Selection, or the Cellar Classic or Cellarcraft kits are all good. Avoid the supermarket ones which are 1/3 the price. Wine is pretty easy to make.

Opps I thought you where talking to me.

What I think is if you start Off making Kits Im not sure you can learn that much from them, the main thing to Learn(or most difficult is) I think is PH, and TA.
We learn from our Mistakes.-----(Never Knew I liked Sherry
must be cause it's hommade, and not like almond extract, but with Hints of almond)

Hey, there is one guy who is seriously hating on kit wines. I picked up a... I guess it was Selection?... kit for a Gewurtz, from my local home brew suppliers, and it's turned out pretty wonderful so far. My gf is picky about wines, she likes it a lot. It's only 2 months old, so I probably shouldn't be guzzling it yet, but it's nice.

My first was a kit wine, my next will be a kit wine, and then after that I may branch out, depending on what sort of supplies I need/can find.

Back