College Research Paper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rythmicjea

Reaction score
Hey everyone! As the title says, I'm writing a research paper for my college writing class . It's got to be 7-9 pages in length so like 3000 words. There isn't anything that I can view in the academic section of the forum. Does anyone have any recommend for scholarly articles regarding beer and other fermented spirits?

Second, if there is anyone here who has any connections to breweries my third paper is going to be a journalist piece and I need people to interview.

Thank you!

Do you have a topic for the paper? Hard to offer suggestions without knowing the purpose of the paper.

To any HBT'ers: I'm tempted to suggest the German LODO article. But I won't. :)

Right now it is just craft beer in general. History, how it's made, what makes a good beer, etc. Basically "how to become an expert in 3000 words". I'll take anything you've got because it will lend to there overall knowledge and time of the paper.

Right now it is just craft beer in general. History, how it's made, what makes a good beer, etc. Basically "how to become an expert in 3000 words". I'll take anything you've got because it will lend to there overall knowledge and time of the paper.
I would make it more specific. You are not going to write a good paper with 3,000 words if you hope to cover all aspects of craft brewing. There is yeast and its contributions, malt, hops, water, water chemistry, fermentation, alpha acid and its contributions, etc, etc, etc. Especially if it is supposed to be a research paper, and not simply a synopses or overview or how-to, you really want to focus in on one aspect, in order to really fully review your chosen topic. Good luck!

While I understand that, I need to collect all information I can so that I'm able to narrow down the topic. And I take back the word count is going to be more like 7,000 - 10,000.

Where are you in terms of brewing background and knowledge? Never done it? Done some brewing? Don't like beer, like beer?

You need a premise, a hook, a hypothesis, SOMETHING to start from. Try this: Craft beer is dying. Now, look for evidence and see if the thesis is reasonable or if there's evidence to refute it.

I think you're probably best off trying to find a hook or something like that. Ask how newbies start. Is craft beer dying? Is homebrewing dying? What makes people take up homebrewing?

If you know little about homebrewing, then a technical paper is unlikely to be well-done. It takes time to learn this stuff, and experience is everything. You can read all you want, but the proof is in the doing.

If you want a 10,000-word paper, that's 40 pages of 250 words, double-spaced, per page. If you truly need to fill out that much (I hate lower limits--I like UPPER limits, i.e., no more than 2000 words, say), a paper describing what causes people to go into homebrewing would work. You could interview a few people, describe 3 or 4 or 5 different experiences, try to draw some conclusions.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

I have some some homebrewing myself, I do like beer I have a YouTube channel dedicated to it, and it's not 250 words double spaced. It's single spaced and about 750 words to a page. No thesis statement. So, no "hook". This is a college assignment due in five weeks. Not something I can take time on to experience for myself. And not something I can report on my own experiences. Where I live craft beer is in a Renaissance so it's definitely not dying. But that is my third paper.

I'm asking for sources, not how to write a paper. I know how to write a paper, I know how to write a paper.

Please and thank you.

I have some some homebrewing myself, I do like beer I have a YouTube channel dedicated to it, and it's not 250 words double spaced. It's single spaced and about 750 words to a page. No thesis statement. So, no "hook". This is a college assignment due in five weeks. Not something I can take time on to experience for myself. And not something I can report on my own experiences. Where I live craft beer is in a Renaissance so it's definitely not dying. But that is my third paper.

I'm asking for sources, not how to write a paper. I know how to write a paper, I know how to write a paper.

Please and thank you.

Well, perhaps you do and perhaps you don't. I wrote a weekly newspaper column for 13 years, and never did I start writing without some idea of what I wanted to accomplish.

You want sources, but about what you do not say. You don't have a topic. Period. I gave you several suggestions, and yet, still, no topic.

Well, good luck with that.

Well, perhaps you do and perhaps you don't. I wrote a weekly newspaper column for 13 years, and never did I start writing without some idea of what I wanted to accomplish.

You want sources, but about what you do not say. You don't have a topic. Period. I gave you several suggestions, and yet, still, no topic.

Well, good luck with that.

No, you told me how to write a paper based on information you didn't have. You told me how YOU expect a paper to be written "I like upper limits" which is the exact opposite of what my professor wants. You didn't give me any ideas you said, and I quote "You need a premise, a hook, a hypothesis, SOMETHING to start from." And if you had read the topic is overall "take a newbie to expert in x amount of words". It's a general overview of the crest beer industry. That's why I'm looking for sources.

Great that you wrote a coming for 13 years? Am I supposed to be impressed? I work in television news so I know how to put a package together. Newsflash oftentimes we don't have an angle until we get all of the source material.

It's obvious you don't have any sources to provide or you would have.

Research paper for college writing class? What are the objectives? You are starting too broad. If you can't narrow brewing down on your own then find a different topic! There are books dedicated to specific beer styles. Books dedicated to yeast. To hops. To malt. Individual breweries. What in brewing interests you? What do you want to learn about?

Also, I'm guessing there are breweries in your area. Contact them. Don't rely on others connections. E-mail them. Go to a tap room. Try the forum again if you aren't having any luck.

No, you told me how to write a paper based on information you didn't have. You told me how YOU expect a paper to be written "I like upper limits" which is the exact opposite of what my professor wants. You didn't give me any ideas you said, and I quote "You need a premise, a hook, a hypothesis, SOMETHING to start from." And if you had read the topic is overall "take a newbie to expert in x amount of words". It's a general overview of the crest beer industry. That's why I'm looking for sources.

Great that you wrote a coming for 13 years? Am I supposed to be impressed? I work in television news so I know how to put a package together. Newsflash oftentimes we don't have an angle until we get all of the source material.

It's obvious you don't have any sources to provide or you would have.

Good luck. I'd thought relaying my experience with writing might have prompted you to give us some idea, ANY IDEA, as to a subject area. Apparently you chose this general topic area without having any idea why.

I'm also mightily impressed that you think we should do all the legwork while you sit back like Tom Sawyer getting others to paint his fence.

And FWIW: I *am* a college professor. Let the record show I tried to help. Now, you go off and follow your own instincts.

If you know how to write a paper, write a paper. Don't go trolling anonymous strangers on a message board to write it for you. :cool:
You're a special kind of stupid aren't you? There's a difference between reaching out for sources and getting someone else to write the project for you.

Last edited:
Research paper for college writing class? What are the objectives? You are starting too broad. If you can't narrow brewing down on your own then find a different topic! There are books dedicated to specific beer styles. Books dedicated to yeast. To hops. To malt. Individual breweries. What in brewing interests you? What do you want to learn about?

Also, I'm guessing there are breweries in your area. Contact them. Don't rely on others connections. E-mail them. Go to a tap room. Try the forum again if you aren't having any luck.

Again, a general overview. Basically a little bit of everything. As for these books, I'm asking for what books are the best to read and what are junk. Have there been any other scholarly articles written on the subject and where? Google can be a good resource but most of the time academic papers don't get top billing.

Good luck. I'd thought relaying my experience with writing might have prompted you to give us some idea, ANY IDEA, as to a subject area. Apparently you chose this general topic area without having any idea why.

I'm also mightily impressed that you think we should do all the legwork while you sit back like Tom Sawyer getting others to paint his fence.

And FWIW: I *am* a college professor. Let the record show I tried to help. Now, you go off and follow your own instincts.

For a college professor you certainly don't listen do you? Thankfully you aren't mine because holy hell getting you to listen to anything is pulling teeth. And what experience? Trying to tell me that you wrote a column and then magically becoming a college professor after two comments? Am I supposed to be wooed by the fact you know Tom Sawyer?

If you are a college professor you would understand there's a difference between asking for source recommendations, which is what I'm doing, and getting people to write the source material for me.

Good luck getting any help since you keep insulting people trying to help you.

I'm guessing you'll pull the victim card, next.

Good luck getting any help since you keep insulting people trying to help you.

I'm guessing you'll pull the victim card, next.
Exactly what kind of help do you think is being offered? And really I'm the only one being insulting? I've been called Tom Sawyer and a troll and now a victim. I've been belittled and told that I shouldn't follow my assignment and instead follow the rules some random person claiming to be a columnist and college professor wants instead. I've said numerous times exactly what I'm looking for but been ignored because it's not what people want to offer. So, please explain how am I the only one at fault?

You're a special kind of stopss aren't you? There's a difference between reaching out for sources and getting someone else to write the project for you.

Yes, there is a difference. We've figured put which side of that equation you're on. :cool:

If you really work in television news, your job is, essentially, to get people to bring the story to you. This place isn't a 4-alarm fire, highway crash, crime scene or City Council meeting. Neither is it a repository of brewing related academic papers. This is a place where like-minded people waste a little time and exchange info on what works and what doesn't with regard to homebrewing. You can learn what I think you want to know by just lurking here for a few days, reading through the threads in the homebrewing beer subforum, and asking a few questions.

Lose the attitude, try to fit in, and quit coming across like someone who thinks the homebrewing community owes you a favor (whether you realize it, or not, that really is the first impression you're making in this thread).

I'm an old guy. It's likely that I've been wasting time on message boards longer than you've been sitting up and taking solid food by yourself. This is the Internet. "I'm looking for information to write a paper for a college class" is code for "I need someone to do the heavy lifting for me". It's as much a part of Web culture as Godwin's Law ( which hasn't been invoked in this thread-yet).

This may be a case where making an exit and then coming back and starting over might be your best course of action. Just sayin'...

Yes, there is a difference. We've figured put which side of that equation you're on. :cool:

No, you don't know what side I'm on. You've just assumed because you want to think everyone follows some lazy ass way of getting **** done instead of you know, asking and understanding what the person wants. Not looking so good on your part now is it?

If you really work in television news, your job is, essentially, to get people to bring the story to you. This place isn't a 4-alarm fire, highway crash, crime scene or City Council meeting. Neither is it a repository of brewing related academic papers. This is a place where like-minded people waste a little time and exchange info on what works and what doesn't with regard to homebrewing. You can learn what I think you want to know by just lurking here for a few days, reading through the threads in the homebrewing beer subforum, and asking a few questions.

Who says I haven't done that? In the past I've asked about my own home brews. You'd know that if you did a little research yourself. And yes, I am aware of what this forum is about. I came here because of the assistance I've received in the past and is people are so knowledgeable then they must have come across some resources that might be hard to find now. That they might have bookmarked just in case for situations like these.

Lose the attitude, try to fit in, and quit coming across like someone who thinks the homebrewing community owes you a favor (whether you realize it, or not, that really is the first impression you're making in this thread).

And exactly how do you think someone should react when they are being belittled? Hmm?

I'm an old guy. It's likely that I've been wasting time on message boards longer than you've been sitting up and taking solid food by yourself. This is the Internet. "I'm looking for information to write a paper for a college class" is code for "I need someone to do the heavy lifting for me". It's as much a part of Web culture as Godwin's Law ( which hasn't been invoked in this thread-yet).

This may be a case where making an exit and then coming back and starting over might be your best course of action. Just sayin'...[/QUOTE]

I really don't care what advice you have because you aren't actually contributing anything just being insulting. You are assuming the worst because of someone else you heard of doing something unseemly. So, instead of going "oh this one is trying to cheat!" How about you go "hmm what resources do I have? I'm not going to write the paper but I did learn a lot from these articles and books. Here you go!"

And yeah, 10,000 words on to cover "what is craft beer?" is enough that I don't have to pick a hyper specific topic like "the different kinds of hops".

And there's the victim card. ;)
Good job picking out the only part of my post that you can convolute into fitting your own narrative! Next are you going to tell me that Roswell was real because of redacted files? "It doesn't say it isn't so I can argue that it is!" Solid logic.

Thanks for that! The article described your responses to the criticisms you've been subjected to in this thread to a"T".

Don't worry about me. These incidents happen, sometimes, and I'm not going to beat myself up over this. :ban:

I'm going to repeat first comment to you. You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

I'm going to repeat first comment to you. You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

Look, kid, if the nanny filter which changed "siht" to "poopy" wasn't your first clue-this board is pretty heavily moderated. It's the middle of the night;this thread will be moved, or gone, by morning.

You can't hurt my feeling (not a typo-I just have the one) so you're wasting bandwidth by trying.

Good luck with your research. See ya.

I can’t recommend any articles. But I did used to work at my local craft brewery. Thomas Creek in Greenville SC for 2 years in the packaging Dept.

Hey everyone! As the title says, I'm writing a research paper for my college writing class . It's got to be 7-9 pages in length so like 3000 words. There isn't anything that I can view in the academic section of the forum. Does anyone have any recommend for scholarly articles regarding beer and other fermented spirits?

Second, if there is anyone here who has any connections to breweries my third paper is going to be a journalist piece and I need people to interview.

Thank you!
A good topic may be how barley is malted to achieve different levels of fermentability and flavor development. Sub topics history/equipment for malting, 2 row versus 6 row, relative diastatic power by hybridization. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back