College Parties Getting Hotter, Boozier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

howlinowl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
265
Reaction score
1
Looks like it's time for me to get that college edumucation that I didn't get over 20 years ago...... where do I sign up?
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
597
Location
Adams, MA
What do you think? Should I start training my daughter now to become a man-hating lesbian? Throw away all of her girlie stuff and get her some GI Joes?
 

Sir Humpsalot

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
93
No surprise there really. IMHO it's a good thing as long as people stay in control. Remember the sexual liberation of the 60's? Well I don't. I wasn't there. I'm not complaining, hippies generally seemed to be kinda hairy and I'm not into that. But anyway, my point is that this country is way too prudish and hopefully these kinds of things will open that up a little more.

Personally, I see nothing "dirty" about nudity in and of itself. And I see nothing wrong with expressing one's sexuality in appropriate places (i.e. amongst consenting adults). Maybe the next generation will finally "figure it out" and realize that sexuality shouldn't be about rebellion. It should be about having fun and feeling good. I'm not advocating total hedonism here. I'm just saying that sex has pretty much been a normal part of life for as long as this planet has had life. Think about that for a second. Think about how old sex is.

And here we are a mere two thousand and eight years after the birth of Christ, and many hundreds of MILLIONS of years after the evolution of sex. And we still freak out about this stuff.

If you think about it, that's freakin weird.
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
597
Location
Adams, MA
Sir Humpsalot said:
No surprise there really. IMHO it's a good thing as long as people stay in control. Remember the sexual liberation of the 60's? Well I don't. I wasn't there. I'm not complaining, hippies generally seemed to be kinda hairy and I'm not into that. But anyway, my point is that this country is way too prudish and hopefully these kinds of things will open that up a little more.

Personally, I see nothing "dirty" about nudity in and of itself. And I see nothing wrong with expressing one's sexuality in appropriate places (i.e. amongst consenting adults). Maybe the next generation will finally "figure it out" and realize that sexuality shouldn't be about rebellion. It should be about having fun and feeling good. I'm not advocating total hedonism here. I'm just saying that sex has pretty much been a normal part of life for as long as this planet has had life. Think about that for a second. Think about how old sex is.

And here we are a mere two thousand and eight years after the birth of Christ, and many hundreds of MILLIONS of years after the evolution of sex. And we still freak out about this stuff.

If you think about it, that's freakin weird.
"Sir Humpsalot" is pro-sex. Whodathunk? ;)
 

Sir Humpsalot

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
93
the_bird said:
"Sir Humpsalot" is pro-sex. Whodathunk? ;)

LOL. I guess in a way my name does precede me into this thread. :cross:

It's just all this screwed up prudish stuff that's so weird. It goes back to common courtesy, I guess. If a girl gives you wood, you say thank you. If she agrees to take you home, you say, "Thank god!" and then call all your buddies the next morning to explain why you weren't at their house to watch the football game. You don't rape, touch inappropriately, or molest the girls that are giving you your wood.

If everybody was just raised to follow these basic rules, we could have naked hot chicks everywhere we go. But no. There are prudes running around that have to ruin it for us. :mad:
 
OP
Mutilated1

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
26
Location
Hoover, Alabama USA
Sir Humpsalot said:
If everybody was just raised to follow these basic rules, we could have naked hot chicks everywhere we go. But no. There are prudes running around that have to ruin it for us. :mad:
thats beautiful
 

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Sir Humpsalot said:
LOL. I guess in a way my name does precede me into this thread. :cross:

It's just all this screwed up prudish stuff that's so weird. It goes back to common courtesy, I guess. If a girl gives you wood, you say thank you. If she agrees to take you home, you say, "Thank god!" and then call all your buddies the next morning to explain why you weren't at their house to watch the football game. You don't rape, touch inappropriately, or molest the girls that are giving you your wood.

If everybody was just raised to follow these basic rules, we could have naked hot chicks everywhere we go. But no. There are prudes running around that have to ruin it for us. :mad:
The problem with many college parties like this, is that they do lead to rape and molestation. I'm all for sex/nudity but when most of the people involved are intoxicated, consent and boundaries start to fly out the window unfortunately...
 

Sir Humpsalot

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
93
Soulive said:
The problem with many college parties like this, is that they do lead to rape and molestation. I'm all for sex/nudity but when most of the people involved are intoxicated, consent and boundaries start to fly out the window unfortunately...
True enough, but I don't think that's a problem that can't be overcome. I don't want to sound like the "she's asking for it" type, far from it. However, I'm a white male in my thirties. And there are certain places I stay away from because I know it wouldn't be safe for me. Ditto for a woman by herself. It's not about their gender, it's about different places being unsafe for different people. That doesn't mean it's not okay for everybody who *does* fit into the scene. I'm sure it's perfectly safe for 3 or 4 girls that go together as a group.

I'm not looking to close down every bar across the streets from the ghetto just because I wouldn't feel safe going there alone. And I wouldn't try to shut down the parties just because a lonely woman with no friends shouldn't be there. You go there with a group of friends and everything will be fine. Is it a little dangerous still? Yeah, I guess, but it's manageable. If you can't manage the risk intelligently, stay away. There's no need to make everything PERFECTLY safe. Some things are a little dangerous and that's part of why they are so much fun. We shouldn't live in a perfectly safe bubble all of the time.

I'm not saying that the bad things that happen shouldn't be stopped. They sure as hell should be stopped. But let's not let one bad worm spoil the entire apple cart.
 

Soulive

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,266
Reaction score
27
Location
The Middle of NJ
Sir Humpsalot said:
True enough, but I don't think that's a problem that can't be overcome. I don't want to sound like the "she's asking for it" type, far from it. However, I'm a white male in my thirties. And there are certain places I stay away from because I know it wouldn't be safe for me. Ditto for a woman by herself. It's not about their gender, it's about different places being unsafe for different people. That doesn't mean it's not okay for everybody who *does* fit into the scene. I'm sure it's perfectly safe for 3 or 4 girls that go together as a group.

I'm not looking to close down every bar across the streets from the ghetto just because I wouldn't feel safe going there alone. And I wouldn't try to shut down the parties just because a lonely woman with no friends shouldn't be there. You go there with a group of friends and everything will be fine. Is it a little dangerous still? Yeah, I guess, but it's manageable. If you can't manage the risk intelligently, stay away. There's no need to make everything PERFECTLY safe. Some things are a little dangerous and that's part of why they are so much fun. We shouldn't live in a perfectly safe bubble all of the time.

I'm not saying that the bad things that happen shouldn't be stopped. They sure as hell should be stopped. But let's not let one bad worm spoil the entire apple cart.
I can see what you're saying but the drunken half-naked parties are just too conducive to abuse. In a perfect world (without raging hormones), everyone would be able to handle it, but that doesn't happen as often as it should. Its just a sore subject for me in more ways than one. I've seen girls and guys negatively effected by these type of scenarios...
 

merc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Thank the Lord I have 3 sons...

High school grad presents will be a box of condoms, a bullet proof vest, and a suitcase. Give 'em a hearty goodluck handshake, and wish them well....

Then fill their rooms with dirt to make sure they can't move back...
 

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
12,023
Reaction score
2,008
Location
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Ok, here goes.

Open letter to all the fathers of daughters out there who are worried about how their girls are going to act at frat parties.


If you don't want your little girl to act like a ho at her first (or her 15th) frat party then do something about it now. YOU ARE HER FATHER. Your job, and by far the most important job you will ever do in your life, is to teach her how to live her life in a manner that both of you can be poud of. So be her father and do your job.

Far to many men act as though when they pump ther load into Mom, their work is done. Nothing could be further from the truth. That's when the work starts. Unfortunately there is an increaingly prevelant belief that mothers are the ones who raise the kids. WTF? This is YOUR kid. If you don't raise her to know the difference between right and wrong how can you expect someone else to do it? It's YOUR kid. Teach her how to act. It starts when she is born and it doesn't stop. EVER.

"Don't hit your sister." "Don't cut in line." "That's a very nice drawing. Lets put it on the fridge." "Do your homework." "That isn't an appropriate outfit, go change." "You did a really nice thing today, I'm proud of you." "I love you." "I don't care if you can't go to Ireland, if you hadn't parked in a handicapped spot you wouldn't have gotten a ticket. If you didn't get a ticket you wouldn't have gotten a fine. If you had paid the fine you wouldn't have a court date. You were wrong. Deal with it. You know better. Discussion over."

One thing I always used to say to my kids ( 2 girls- 23 and 21) is "Would you want to tell you Grandmother about doing that?"

And I've told at last one of their boyfriends, "They will never find your body." I meant it and he knew it. He didn't last long.

Worried about how she's going to act? Teach her to act in a way you can both be proud of.

PTN
 

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
20,968
Reaction score
597
Location
Adams, MA
I think a lot of it comes down to teaching your daughter to have some self-respect and to have esteem for things other than her beauty. We make it a point to praise Cassie for being smart or funny or kind, not just for being pretty.

That, and I'm hoping that she learns that beer/alcohol is something to be respected. We don;t act like alcohol is some great forbidden thing in the house. I'm fully expecting that she'll sneak away to her first party at age 16, some high school senior will hand her a Coors Light, and she'll distainfully tell him "Don't you have some Three Philisophers?"
 

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
12,023
Reaction score
2,008
Location
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
the_bird said:
I'm fully expecting that she'll sneak away to her first party at age 16, some high school senior will hand her a Coors Light, and she'll distainfully tell him "Don't you have some Three Philisophers?"
My daughter once told me, "Hey, did you ever hear of this dead guy named Zappa? He's got a song named after your beer."

Uhh, ya sweetheart, something like that.
 

Laurel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
1,499
Reaction score
13
Location
Seattle, WA
If it makes any of you feel better, I'm a college student and I don't get naked at parties. And when I got drunk at lots of parties, I always had a babysitter there to keep an eye on things. Likely, you have a lot less to worry about than you think. :)
 

Sluggo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago Burbs
Laurel said:
If it makes any of you feel better, I'm a college student and I don't get naked at parties. And when I got drunk at lots of parties, I always had a babysitter there to keep an eye on things. Likely, you have a lot less to worry about than you think. :)
Babysitters get distracted. That's a wingman's job to distract the babysitter.

Oh the good ole days of college. How I miss them, especially now.
 

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
4,619
Reaction score
88
Location
Someplace
I was always the dorky underage guy who helps the security officer at the door with carding people, blocking anyone with glass bottles, and putting wristbands on.

Oh how I hated being underage. Where the hell were these parties like you're talking about? That's what I get for being on a small campus in a residential neighborhood, I guess.
 

brauhaus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
10
Location
Susquehanna Valley, PA
the_bird said:
I think a lot of it comes down to teaching your daughter to have some self-respect and to have esteem for things other than her beauty. We make it a point to praise Cassie for being smart or funny or kind, not just for being pretty.

That, and I'm hoping that she learns that beer/alcohol is something to be respected. We don;t act like alcohol is some great forbidden thing in the house. I'm fully expecting that she'll sneak away to her first party at age 16, some high school senior will hand her a Coors Light, and she'll distainfully tell him "Don't you have some Three Philisophers?"

some of the biggest and wildest girls I knew of were raised very strict, alcohol was kept under lock and key and to them it was for "adults only"...

both of my parents don't drink or smoke, but i was never raised to think alcohol was the mean bad monster, my parents would just simply say, "ah, it just tastes funny to me."

i grew up learning to appreciate the things i was given, and to appreicate knowledge and how to live from life experiences... i've grown to appreicate beer and it's craft.


anyway, where's more of these said drunken insane parties??
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,724
Reaction score
12,417
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
Well, as a woman, and a mother of an 18 year old daughter (on Saturday), this is something that I've thought about.

I think kids will make some terrible choices no matter how we raise them. My daughter is smart and doesn't drink at all- but I'm under no illusions that she won't experiment in college. I think any time you mix hormones and alcohol, you get into trouble. She knows how to say no, she has quite a bit of modesty, and she doesn't like being in situations that make her feel out of control. That's all I can do as a parent- give her the tools to make informed decisions. And thank God she's pretty dorky.

I had some bad things happen to me when I was 18 years old and believe me, if I had I not been drinking at the time that would never have happened to me. I allowed myself to fall into a situation where I was unable to get away. I didn't even go to the police because I knew it would be my fault- for drinking, and maybe "for asking for it". Almost 30 years later, that still haunts me. I''ve never really gotten over it. I've ever only told a couple of people in my life- so it seems weird talking about it here and now!

I've never been a prude- in fact, the opposite! But I worry about the "crowd mentality" these parties invite. That makes anyone with some misgivings feel silly, and then they might do something they might regret.

All that said- I have a beautiful 20 gauge Stevens pump, and a really big shovel. And lots of acreage. If someone hurts my daughter (and I find out about it!), the body will never be found.
 

JimC

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
304
Reaction score
14
Location
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
YooperBrew said:
If someone hurts my daughter (and I find out about it!), the body will never be found.
After seen what sexual abuse did(and still does) to my wife 20+ years later.

+100000
 

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,505
Reaction score
186
Location
Eldorado, WI
paulthenurse said:
Ok, here goes.

Open letter to all the fathers of daughters out there who are worried about how their girls are going to act at frat parties.


If you don't want your little girl to act like a ho at her first (or her 15th) frat party then do something about it now. YOU ARE HER FATHER. Your job, and by far the most important job you will ever do in your life, is to teach her how to live her life in a manner that both of you can be poud of. So be her father and do your job.

Far to many men act as though when they pump ther load into Mom, their work is done. Nothing could be further from the truth. That's when the work starts. Unfortunately there is an increaingly prevelant belief that mothers are the ones who raise the kids. WTF? This is YOUR kid. If you don't raise her to know the difference between right and wrong how can you expect someone else to do it? It's YOUR kid. Teach her how to act. It starts when she is born and it doesn't stop. EVER.

"Don't hit your sister." "Don't cut in line." "That's a very nice drawing. Lets put it on the fridge." "Do your homework." "That isn't an appropriate outfit, go change." "You did a really nice thing today, I'm proud of you." "I love you." "I don't care if you can't go to Ireland, if you hadn't parked in a handicapped spot you wouldn't have gotten a ticket. If you didn't get a ticket you wouldn't have gotten a fine. If you had paid the fine you wouldn't have a court date. You were wrong. Deal with it. You know better. Discussion over."

One thing I always used to say to my kids ( 2 girls- 23 and 21) is "Would you want to tell you Grandmother about doing that?"

And I've told at last one of their boyfriends, "They will never find your body." I meant it and he knew it. He didn't last long.

Worried about how she's going to act? Teach her to act in a way you can both be proud of.

PTN
Paul, you can get off your high horse right now. Raising kids, boys or girls, is a crap shoot and every parent knows it. Just because the kid goes on a bit of a slide doesn't always mean it is the parent's fault. I know some people who were awesome parents, always there for their kids, always showed them the right way, and the kid still ended up fckued up. And I know some really sh!tty parents that raised great kids. It's a crap shoot. You do the best you can by your kids, and to insinuate that it is always the parents' fault is unfair.
And all the proper parenting in the world isn't going to alleviate the worry.
 

Sir Humpsalot

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
93
To avoid going down an unpopular path, let me propose the following:

The Male Council needs to put their heads together and come up with an acceptable plan of action. I mean, come on let's be honest about the double standard. All guys like slightly slutty chicks who will do them and yet nobody wants that girl to be their daughter. All guys want to put girls into a situation where they are more inclined to show skin and do naughty things, but nobody (with a shred of moral decency) wants to coerce or cajole the girls into doing such things (let alone anything more). In other words, the male species is not consistent in declaring what we want and expect and I think that that is really the heart of the problem.

Women have it easier in that regard, it seems. The Woman Council is pretty consistent in their expectations of boys. At least to a much greater degree. There aren't as many mixed signals.
 

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
12,023
Reaction score
2,008
Location
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
OK I didn't mean to come across as being on a high horse, but I work in an inner city ER and I'm sick to death of what I see every day. Day after day people come to us and want us to fix the mess they have made of their lives. No- one seems to want to be responsible for themselves or their actions. If I told you the things we see on a daily basis you simply wouldn't believe me. It tends to get you a bit cynical. And I had had a few this morning when I wrote what I did.

All of that said, I stand by everything I wrote because I firmly believe everything I wrote. But I didn't mean to preach.
 

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
4,619
Reaction score
88
Location
Someplace
Sir Humpsalot said:
I mean, come on let's be honest about the double standard. All guys like slightly slutty chicks who will do them and yet nobody wants that girl to be their daughter. All guys want to put girls into a situation where they are more inclined to show skin and do naughty things, but nobody (with a shred of moral decency) wants to coerce or cajole the girls into doing such things (let alone anything more).
Guilty as charged on all counts. You could shorten the first sentence though. "All guys like chicks who will do them and yet..." After all, last I checked, "slightly slutty" is not a requirement in the least.

"Heh heh, Butthead, this chick wants to DO us!"
 
Top