Collecting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewawan

Reaction score
My first brew is in the secondary, and I didn't save my yeast simply because I was uncomfortable doing it probably. I was just trying to get some simple, economical ways to collect the yeast. When I read the reference off the "Links, Troubleshooting page," I don't think buying viles, gylcerine, etc. is all that simple.

Does anyone have interesting suggestions?

Plus should my honey wheat only need two weeks before bottling or does anyone have experience with honey wheat needing more time before bottling?:confused:

OG: 1.053
SG at racking: 1.020
Temp: 68-70 deg
Minimal fermentation: 1/min
Krausen has decreased significantly from 24-48 hrs after racking

I harvested yeast from my Fat Tire... boiled a quart of water, cooled it, swirled it around in the fermentor to suspend the yeast cake. Then poured into a sterile jar, placed in fridge, let settle for 4 hours. Poured the creamy liquid off the settled trub into a sterile growler and capped it off, placed in fridge, waiting for my next starter. Just keep it clean, and wash the yeast if you want to keep it for a while.

Brewpilot

Brewpilot said:
I harvested yeast from my Fat Tire... boiled a quart of water, cooled it, swirled it around in the fermentor to suspend the yeast cake. Then poured into a sterile jar, placed in fridge, let settle for 4 hours. Poured the creamy liquid off the settled trub into a sterile growler and capped it off, placed in fridge, waiting for my next starter. Just keep it clean, and wash the yeast if you want to keep it for a while.

Brewpilot
What do you mean wash the Yeast? Is it the process you just described?

Yes, that's basically the process! It's really easy, and a good way to save and reuse yeast. Do a search for "yeast washing" and you'll find all the instructions. There are also pictures of this- I know jadeddog's gallery has a picture, and I'm pretty sure yuri_rage has directions in his signature.

If you have lots and lots of trub, you might have to repeat the process using the same leftovers. It's just a way to separate the trub and yeast. I have two pint jars of pacman yeast in my fridge that I saved this way.

Lorena

Yep, that is washing it... I only had time for one wash, but I had very little trub in my fermentor and left most behind in the first wash... I am next going to experiment with making a starter with it in my 6.5 gal fermentor... 2 days prior to brewing my Oatmeal Stout... I will let you know if and how it works.

Brewpilot

The link says I can only store collected and washed yeast for up to 1 month. What if I don't brew that often? My LHBS guy mentioned something about adding sugar periodically. My girlfriend works at a lab and insists that she can preserve the yeast on a culture for a long time. I am just an engineering major that doesn't understand germs very well. What gives?

l3lackEyedAngels said:
The link says I can only store collected and washed yeast for up to 1 month. What if I don't brew that often? My LHBS guy mentioned something about adding sugar periodically. My girlfriend works at a lab and insists that she can preserve the yeast on a culture for a long time. I am just an engineering major that doesn't understand germs very well. What gives?
Your GF is right, and you are wrong...yeast is not a germ...it's a fungus.;)

I use yeast from the manufacturer that is over a year expired and my own washed yeast at 6 months or more.:D

Back