Collapsible Gravity Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshmhurst

Reaction score
I was having trouble finding an all grain stand that didn't take up any extra room in my garage so I decided to build my own. This stand will fold down to 4 1/4 inches and I can hang it on my garage wall. When I'm ready to brew I can just pull it off the wall stand it up and set the supports and i'm ready to brew.

Brew Stand1.jpg

Brew Stand2.jpg

Brew Stand3.jpg

Brew Stand4.jpg

That is exactly what i have been looking for. I do not have a garage and brew on my back deck. Is there any chance you have plans drawn up for this beauty?

That is exactly what i have been looking for. I do not have a garage and brew on my back deck. Is there any chance you have plans drawn up for this beauty?
Not yet, I started with some rough sketches and ideas of what size I wanted it but the plan evolved the further I went into the build. I'll start sketching something up when I have the time and post it back here. The main rule I followed was to build from the outside to the inside. The back supports are the widest point on the whole stand and the fold out legs on the second tier are the most narrow. However, When your planning yours make sure that you start with the minimum size you need for you second tier and then add 3" of width for each set of 2x4's until you get to your top table. I used 3/4" wood dowels for my pivot points and had to countersink a couple of them so that the joint would slide inside the next level.

Just going to have one burner, I will be using Igloo Coolers for the Mash tun and HLT. If i switch to burners in the future I will just and some sheet metal and set the individual burners on the two tiers. I am still working on locking the tiers into place. I tried something last night and wasn't happy with the results so i'm heading back to the store today to see what else i can use. I'm thinking i'll use a couple ratchet straps kiddie corner from each other in the main section so i can adjust the tension and then i'll just do something simple for the second tier.

I am definitely open to suggestions if you can think of anything that may work.

This is really nice looking. I too would be interested in some plans. How stable is it when gear is placed on top?

This looks great, where are your burners to be located?

Also, how are they tiers locked in place?

Just bought some folding supports to support the fold out table and a couple of ratchet tie downs to support the main body...probably overkill but the last thing I want to do is dump a batch of beer because I didn't support it. I could probably just use folding supports there too but we'll see what happens when I get it together

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is really nice looking. I too would be interested in some plans. How stable is it when gear is placed on top?

I haven't brewed with it yet but I was sitting on the table last night without any issues. I get some plans drawn up when it warms up here in michigan again

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nice work Josh! You'll definitely have to take pictures of when your first brew is made with it. That engineering school paid off!

Rick

Set the thing up. Then drill through near your pivots and put in some locking pins. Something like 1/2" bolt. Should lock it into place well enough. That make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Set the thing up. Then drill through near your pivots and put in some locking pins. Something like 1/2" bolt. Should lock it into place well enough. That make sense?

I'll have to try that. Should keep it locked in place. I hooked up some 6' ratchet straps last night and it really pulled everything together nice but it didn't look all that great. The folding supports on the fold out table look great and work well too.

The trick is keeping it right/rigid. If you go with a locking pin you also need (a cam maybe?) mechanism to be able to put some tension on the frame like you're doing with the ratchet straps.

Very cool!.... just what I need too! You wouldn't happen to have the plans on line somewhere would you?

I was having trouble finding an all grain stand that didn't take up any extra room in my garage so I decided to build my own. This stand will fold down to 4 1/4 inches and I can hang it on my garage wall. When I'm ready to brew I can just pull it off the wall stand it up and set the supports and i'm ready to brew.

Not yet, I forgot I was going to do that. I'll take some measurements this week and start working on drawing up a plan

Not yet, I forgot I was going to do that. I'll take some measurements this week and start working on drawing up a plan

Hi I know this is an old thread but I stumbled upon it while researching to build something very similar. Would it be possible to get your plans or maybe dimensions of each board/section? It would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back