Coleman Xtreme mash tun manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter05

Reaction score
This weekend I've made a new copper manifold for my mash tun. I incorporated a union joint for easy removal and installation. I soldered all the joints together except for the middle ones for easy cleaning and drying. Hope you enjoy!

Z9cbr.jpg

b3EDs.jpg

cUT1q.jpg

If you are really interested I could make another one. Fair warning though copper is not cheap these days.

"I soldered all the joints together except for the middle ones for easy cleaning and drying."

Hmm...I only see four unsoldered joints, leaving a whole lot of elbows and tees soldered together with pipe sections behind and between. Considering you're never going to be able to force a brush throughout that plumbing, I question the "easy cleaning" bit. I'd definitely never let that manifold dry after use before doing the best you can to clean it up first. Hope you have a pump!

Cheers!

I have two pumps actually :) I building an electric brewery similar to Kal's. At the end of the brew day I will run cleaning solution through the whole system, after emptying the spent grains of course :)

"I soldered all the joints together except for the middle ones for easy cleaning and drying."

Hmm...I only see four unsoldered joints, leaving a whole lot of elbows and tees soldered together with pipe sections behind and between. Considering you're never going to be able to force a brush throughout that plumbing, I question the "easy cleaning" bit. I'd definitely never let that manifold dry after use before doing the best you can to clean it up first. Hope you have a pump!

Cheers!

What is this 'brush' thing you speak of, and why use it on a mash tun? I have never used anything except the hose to clean mine, and it looks better than the day I made it. Take it out of the grain bed, spray it off.

What is this 'brush' thing you speak of, and why use it on a mash tun? I have never used anything except the hose to clean mine, and it looks better than the day I made it. Take it out of the grain bed, spray it off.

So, you never clean the inside? Just let whatever accumulates there stay there for the next batch?

I'm just seeing a lot of preferential flow paths in the two halves of that manifold, that suggest cleaning it out won't be all that easy. And maybe I'm just OC about sanitation, but I'd never just "spray off" a manifold and stash it away for the next brew day...

Clean it? you do that? man i take the manifold off and hose it and thats it. hose it again b4 i use it again, with the frame of mind that it is in fact pre-boil.

of course mine is cpvc and comes off easily. but after the 2nd brewday where the manifold separated and i had to reach into very hot stuff and reattach it, i think a change is in order.

This weekend I've made a new copper manifold for my mash tun. I incorporated a union joint for easy removal and installation. I soldered all the joints together except for the middle ones for easy cleaning and drying. Hope you enjoy!

Z9cbr.jpg

Carter, having bought a Coleman Xtreme 52Qt (49 litre) cooler recently, to use as a mash tun, you inspired me to build a manifold like yours... ;-)

Unlike yours, though, I didn't solder any joints together, but instead I've used PTFE tape to make the joints solid while in situ, and so I can take it apart for cleaning.

For anyone interested in building Carter's/my manifold for the Coleman Xtreme 52Qt cooler, the total length of copper piping (15mm) was less than 2500mm in length.

(The brown tape on the manifold was only there to hold the piping, while I cut the slots in)... ;-)

IMG_20160429_161238.jpg

Great job on your manifolds! What did you do for the bulkhead.. and have you had any issues w/your design?

Back