Coleman Xtreme 50qt MLT Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
So I want to make the jump from Extract to AG Brewing. I went out and bought a Coleman Xtreme 50qt and ordered a bulkhead fitting kit from NB.

I just finished installing the fittings and leak testing when I had a thought.

3d475243.jpg

this basically puts the end of my braid in such a way that i'll end up with about 2" of liquid in the bottom of the cooler. Am I setting myself up for failure? Should I put an elbow on the fitting, or change it in some other way? Or should I relax and not worry? :mug:

I think that you should look for a way to have the braid lay flat on the cooler bottom. The way it is now I would feel a little uncomfortable with and I think you will lose to much wort.

i agree, i think i would lose quite a bit.

i'm not really sure the best way to rework it.

i suppose i could replace that big fitting with a brass tee or something like that, yeah?

You could use a copper male adapter with a short piece of copper as a pickup to get the braid flush to the bottom.

This would let you clamp the braid directly to the copper piece.

just wanted to update. I bought a 90* brass street elbow like this

and used it to angle the pickup down to the bottom of the cooler, then threaded my barb onto that. With just water in the cooler I was able to drain it almost completely. I'm hoping this will get me by as I learn to AG brew

Back