Coleman 58qt Xtreme marine on sale today 28.71

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they said it had one, the same one as the other xtremes, everything over 40qts has the spigot. I called them twice and got two different people to make sure. They said it was rated as a 6 day cooler like their other xtremes, same drain channel, but better handles, better hardware , better exterior coating and better interior lining.

i got one, no clue why it's on sale,,,same reason the 70qts are cheaper I guess. I just don't want to go as large as 70qts, 58qts is great size, less headspace so great heat retention and you get all the other features of the marine brand.

i only do 5gal right now, so 14.5 is huge.

well i just bought one. i've wanted to go braid anyway as i've been getting runoff issues with my false bottom.

yeah i only do 5 gallon batches as well but bought one since i couldn't resist. came to $41 after tax and shipping. figured i could always sell it if it was too big. But do you think it will be too big for 5 gallon batches?

Nope, we see people on here doing 5 gal on 70qt ones all the time. I think it should be fine. Preheat the cooler, get your temp, stir your mash in, throw a blanket over the top etc,,, should be good.

As always with a new piece of equipment you will need some trial and error to see how much temp drop you get when the grain goes in and how much the pre-heat helps etc. But 5 gal will be fine.

yeah i only do 5 gallon batches as well but bought one since i couldn't resist. came to $41 after tax and shipping. figured i could always sell it if it was too big. But do you think it will be too big for 5 gallon batches?

yeah when i get it think i will probably start off with some cheap smash recipes. base malt is cheaper than specialty malt right?

i don't think a false bottom would work on a square cooler. you'd have to use a braid or a manifold or something else.

What about a custom square false bottom, made from screen or something? In theory should work right?

yeah maybe, but it looks like this cooler has a "channeled" drain. is there a reason you're anxious to buy a false bottom? i have one in my current round tun, it's nothing special, and sucks for wheat/adjunct beers.....

side note, i'm moving from a 5 gal rubbermaid....there's so many possibilities now! multiple rests, grainbills larger than 12 pounds....man, i could even brew a barleywine!

moral of the story - never buy a 5 gallon mash tun.

yeah maybe, but it looks like this cooler has a "channeled" drain. is there a reason you're anxious to buy a false bottom? i have one in my current round tun, it's nothing special, and sucks for wheat/adjunct beers.....

side note, i'm moving from a 5 gal rubbermaid....there's so many possibilities now! multiple rests, grainbills larger than 12 pounds....man, i could even brew a barleywine!

moral of the story - never buy a 5 gallon mash tun.

Nah I'm just looking for the best/most effective way to not have alot of grain floating in the wort when it's time to xfer to the kettle. (never all grain brewed before, I am going to be making the step soon, gather info, and equipment now)

people seem to like the braids. that's what I'm going to put on mine.

i'm not terribly happy with my current false bottom setup. it's a commercial one, too....

you actually don't want it too long (the braid) it can tend to flop around unless you weight it or secure it. It only has to allow the wort to drain, so it really doesn't have to go all the way the length of the cooler.

so just buy one of those,push it through the vacant spigot hole, thread ball valve onto it, and attach barb? is it really that simple?

so just buy one of those,push it through the vacant spigot hole, thread ball valve onto it, and attach barb? is it really that simple?

a bit more, you'd like a few washers in there, but yeah that's about it. pretty darn simple.

call up northern brewer, they'll walk you thru the whole process.

I just bought mine....so fuggin excited...SWMBO just told me it must go under the Christmas tree damnit!!! lol

good luck I ordered mine on Monday at $28.71 when I started the thread and the UPS tracking says I will have it Monday the the 6th.

Also FYI people check in the top right hand corner there was a promo code for free shipping mine was $40 and change to the door.

Promo code is TNHGFS5 I used it last night, I didn't notice it either, but the SWMBO pointed out to me....hahahah

i have a bulkhead from a nothern brewer setup i'm going to try and salvage. not sure if it'll fit in that drain channel.

Got mine in today i can see why brewers love these. the drain is in the perfect location so you can get all the wort out without tipping whatsoever. also the spigot is super easy to remove

sa-weet! just got mine. also got my cheap amazon 6gallon glass carboy. christmas came early!

having two primaries rocks.

My browser is too old to navigate their site.. So I can't get to the specs page... I'd like to know the dimensions of the thing so that I can know if it will fit under the ball valve of my HLT...

Or better yet, if someone has one.. can you please measure and tell me the size of the foot print, and also the height to the top of the cooler tub itself (not the lid)

Thanx!

Back