Coldplate for chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeebc

Reaction score
I just got my hands on two four pass cold plates. I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a cold plate for wort chilling. I was thinking that I could throw it in a bucket of ice and replace the ice as it melts. Seems like it would work better than the wimpy IC I am using now.

Thoughts?

You referring to cold plates which you would actually be running the wort through, correct? If that's the case- Yes, I imagine it would work great! Downside would be if you get a clog, and just cleaning them out thoroughly in general.

If you plan on running the wort through it I would also worry about it clogging. But if you can filter well enough, and clean the inside well enough, it would work great.

But if it fits in your stock pot then you can always just throw one in the stock pot. Then connect it to the other one that is sitting in cold water. Then run tap water through them both. It may not work as well as a normal wort chiller, but I think a test is in order.

I use mine for my keg system. I have mine in a bucket of water inside a mini fridge. You could have 8 taps on one mini fridge. Of course you would have 16 holes (8 in and 8 out) in the fridge and you would have 8 kegs taking up space next to it.

yes, keep us posted, i have a couple of those plates just sitting around here i always thought about trying it.

I've been looking for a good deal on some cold plates, would simplify how my kegging setup is.

Anyway I think they will work great for chilling as long as you filter as mentioned. If they do clog you could always boil or bake them to try to get the crap out. Even push steam through them from a steam cleaner or a pressure cooker.

Back