Coldest temp for Lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hi All,

Most Wyeast/Fermentis lager yeasts I've seen crap out about 46*F at the lowest. Is there any yeast happy to work at lower temps?

Thanks!
jkpq45

Curious.

Why? Is fermenting at 46*F not clean enough for ya'? Or are you outdoor brewing in Greenland?

Seriously. Do you have a specific limitation or need to ferment at a temp lower than 46*F or are you just educating yourself?

1. For the education.

2. I want to brew a lager without buying a temp controller for my fridge (read: I'm CHEAP).

I don't mind waiting the extra time for it to brew, and I certainly don't mind the side effect of clear, clean beer. But like I said... I'm cheap.

I've found that if I put my fermentation fridge on it's lowest power setting that it keeps about 48° F nicely.

Okay. Makes perfect sense.

However, I bet if you mapped out the setpoints on your fridge with a thermometer you'd find it has a hard time getting below 40*F and staying there consistently. There are definitely some very clean strains that work between mid 40's and 60's.

Have you temperature mapped the fridge already?

Are there any strains that ferment extra cold (maybe 40F)? This would be useful for fermenting lagers in my keezer while keeping the serving temp low.

Would be good to know. The warmest setting on my basement fridge will keep it in the upper 40s which works great, but that generally means moving extra perishables to the kitchen.

I have a pilsner in there now and the temp reads 47.

Back