Cold Yeast Pitch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firerat

F-You I'm Drunk
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday I brewed a nothing special Pale Ale.

I use the no chill brewing method. I've done it a few times now with success.

What I usually do is after the boil I drain my wort into my fermenter bucket and put it into my mini-fridge fermentation chamber with temperature control for around 24 hours. This give the wort time to cool to the ambient temperature.

I like to precool my chamber before I stuff 5 gallons of hot wort in there, so while I'm actually brewing, I plug the fridge in without a controller to get it nice and cool, then when I put my bucket of hot wort in there I rig my controller and the rest is self explanatory.

Well, this time I goofed. I precooled as usual, but somehow managed to not plug the fridge into the controller. In goes the wort. Well on Sunday afternoon I open the chamber, aerate my wort with my wine degasser, and pitch the yeast. After pitching I realize my error.

I just pitched into like 40F wort!!

Now I know that's not a death sentence (right?) but is there any chance I might need to repitch? I used US-05.

It's Tuesday morning and no activity to speak of. The temperature of the wort is around 60ish which is a bit low.

Any suggestion on what I should do? Maybe agitate the bucket a bit? Should I just RDWHAHB?

I set the temp in the chamber for 66F just so the fridge compressor doesn't kick on and cool it even more. the room it is in get to around 80F in the afternoon. Maybe that'll warm her up a bit and get things going.

Yeah, you'll probably get a perfectly fine fermentation once it warms up enough at the yeast get going.

Back