cold weather fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothrop

Reaction score
Temperatures in MN are now varying from 35F at night to 60F during the day give or take. If my insulated garage fluctuates between 40 and 60 on a daily basis is it reasonable that a lager would turn out under those conditions?

Are the temp swings bad for yeast or is there another type that would turn out better?

those temps sound about right for lagers. fluctuating temps can cause the yeast to shut down till they equalize.

Might not be a bad idea to put it inside somewhere that will remain more consistent and out of the way.

I've been prone to use the room my hot water heater is in. The temps tend to stay slightly elevated and remain that way consistently.

You could try a water bath and place some frozen water bottles in it in the morning which would hopefully keep the temp fairly level during the "hot" part of the day and by the time they are melted in the evening, the temps will be low again. It's a lot of work, but from what I have read here and from my own experience, temp control during fermentation is one of the key drivers for great beer.

Latest posts

Back