Cold Weather brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb461

Reaction score
Need some tips! I have moved my brewing operations to a 10x10 shed in the backyard. I did just insulate it with R-11 insulation. In addition I do have some brew belts for my carboys, but I am just not sure that is going to be able to keep things warm enough. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

There are space heaters on the market made to be left alone and left on. Made to keep pipes and other temperature sensitive stuff from freezing.

I have thought about the space heaters. I am just wondering how economical that would be???

Economical as far as your power bill? It won't be effected too bad, especially if your shed is well insulated. My heater is 100w (IIRC) and raises my bill about $15 a month. I use it in my attached garage that's poorly insulated.

Economical as far as initial cost? about $35.

Option two is to find a nice cozy corner in your home just for the winter months.

There are also heat lamps in varying wattages that'll probably work.

In fact, just one incandescent hundred watter should do it, depending on the size of your shed, of course.

EDIT: re-read starting post....10 x 10 shed....better go heat lamp or heater. You can also hook up a temp controller to your switch to keep the temperature for going too high.

Space heaters can use a lot of 'juice' and can spike your electric bills quite a bit. Also, I wouldn't trust one running for a long period of time either, for safety reasons. When I was living in Minnesota as a kid, we would always have to use hair dryers on the pipes to keep them from freezing. I would see how your insulation does with the cold, if it works like it should, it should only need a few spurts of heat a day to keep it at a decent temperature.

R-11? Thats pretty skimpy stuff... Oh well... Anywho... I would actually section off a small area of that barn as your fermentation chamber and heat/cool that... That way you are not heating the entire space, just the fermentation chamber.

Ok, so I think I have it. A couple boxes lined with that multi purpose non fiberglass insulation with the brewbelt/wrap. I am going to see how that works. If nothing else I guess I can brew lagers and ice beers ha! Thanks for the tips!

Ok, so I think I have it. A couple boxes lined with that multi purpose non fiberglass insulation with the brewbelt/wrap. I am going to see how that works. If nothing else I guess I can brew lagers and ice beers ha! Thanks for the tips!

FYI I just had an awesome insulation company blow some cellulose into my 50's home with NO insulation previously.

In chatting with this gal who ran this company since the 70's she told me that the foam-board insulation (which I just used to build my fermkeezer) is highly flammable and you have to be really careful using it around electric or other heat sources.

Some of the stuff (luckily most of what I got) has a foil cover on the outside, which helps mitigate this, but just something you should think about.

Grab an extra propane tank and get a heater from Home Depot or Cabelas...these things work amazing and pump out some heat too. Dont have to fuss with electrical bills or anything like that.

EDIT: (Didnt realize you were talking about fermentation!) I use an old fridge with a heating pad! If YOU are cold brewing then the above works haha!

I'm not sure what your budget is but I have a fermenatation chamber in my uninsulated garage that maintains temps year round (in New England that means 0-100F range).

It's just a chest freezer with a DIY STC-1000 temp controller controlling the freezer element and a small space heater inside the chest. The freezer itself is, obviously, well-insulated so I don't think it has too huge an impact on my electric bill.

Back