Cold Weather Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djgibson202

Reaction score
It's starting to cool off and I wanted some advice on how to continue brewing through the next couple of months. I currently have a deep freezer that is hooked up to a Johnson Control A419ABG-3C. I purchased a Carboy heater from AIH last winter and was wondering if anyone has used this with the Johnson control during the cooler months and if so, how would you recommend setting it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok, great, I've got that one too, but didn't see it on the AIH at first. I use electric tape to secure it to the outside of a glass carboy. I read somewhere they aren't supposed to be attached to plastic, but I've heard plenty of people say it's ok to do. Your call if you have plastic.

Then the trick is how to place the temperature probe. My opinion, the best option is to get a thermal well like this one. I've heard of people just taping the probe to the outside of the carboy, but I can't imagine that's very accurate. I've also heard of people just dropping the probe into the beer, but I haven't tried, and didn't want the mess.

FYI, I use a completely different setup when I ferment in my 3 gallon better bottles (much narrower and plastic). I put the better bottle inside a plastic fermenter bucket and fill the space between the 2 with water. I drop an aquarium heater in the water and hook it up to the controller and put the probe in the water.

Hope this helps!

I ordered one tonight from AIH. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how the beer turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back