Cold then warm = dormant yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I planned on serving a beer at a party, so I put the whole batch in the fridge. I had only given it a week and a half to carb, so I knew I was pushing it, but the test bottle was carbed.

Well...the others weren't, and thus nobody drank it.

Now that the beer has warmed back up to 70, will it continue to carb, or will the yeast remain dormant?

I usually just rouse the yeast some if I cool it and then warm it back up again.
Just tip the bottle upside down and watch the yeast swirl all around and that should put them back into suspension

To extend this lesson a bit.
It would also be okay to pitch a starter that had been crash cooled without giving it a chance to warm up. Right?

To extend this lesson a bit.
It would also be okay to pitch a starter that had been crash cooled without giving it a chance to warm up. Right?

Not 15 seconds after writing this, I read this in another thread:

"On brewday, remove the starter some hours before pitching so the yeast temperature equalizes to the wort temperature, decant the spent starter "wort" and measure an appropriate amount of slurry to pitch."

argh!!

A rapid change in temp is going to stress the yeast [pitching a still cold cold crashed starter], but not a gradual change as in just moving bottles from place A to place B.

I had a batch that I bottled and then left 1 case in my garage just as a cold snap came through. They got down to below 40 for a few weeks. I brought them inside to warm up for a week or two, and they are perfectly carbed. And clear too! Clearer than the case that got brought in straight away. So, it was like they just got an extra cold crash to help clarify them!

Back