Cold Temperatures During Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPollard6608

Reaction score
If this question has been answered previously, I apologize, but I have encountered a situation that needs addressed. I live in NE Ohio and we were hit with a terrible ice storm that has caused me to lose power for over 24 hours to this point and temperatures have fallen inside our apartment to below 50 degrees. I have an Irish Red Ale in primary going on the 13th day, which was supposed to ferment in temperatures above 65 degrees. Should I rack it tomorrow and bottle it to avoid any problems with low temperatures? I am not supposed to get power turned back on until Sunday at Midnight. Or should I just not worry about it? Please let me know. Thanks!

Nah, let it be. Lots of people drop the temp significantly on purpose after a couple of weeks. If you were only 24 hours into a fermentation, it would be a different story. In all likelihood, though, you've finished fermenting and are now conditioning the beer.

I feel for you. I didnt know there were ice storms. We got hit hard with Armageddon Snow and everything was closed and i had to sit home and drink a Hoptimum and not go to work(darn-it) When it comes on i would get it up to temp for a couple weeks then bottle it.Check the gravity before botteling.Nothing to worry about except staying warm. I hope you do.

+1 to what malfet said, initial fermentation is probably done but I've read about wrapping a blanket around it to warm it up a bit. I too am in ne ohio and have to go out and plow ice tonight. fun

Another Ohio ice storm victim here.. lost power for about 12 hours. two batches going, one about 8 hours in and the other a day in...temp dropped to mid 40's but they were going so strong that they never even slowed down... Your beer will be fine.

Back