Cold steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rake_Rocko

Reaction score
So, last night I cold steeped my dark grains for my imperial stout.y only question that I couldn't seem to find any valuable info on I'd this:
When to add the cold steeped wort?

I've come across people saying to add it to the boil with 2 minutes left or at flameout. Would there be any detrimental effect if I added when the boil started? I'm doing a small 2.5 gallon batch, so I feel I need to boil off some of that cold steeped wort. otherwise, I'm adding an additional 1 gallon to my volume. What do you all think?

i recall reading in the complete joy of homebrewing, that (@ least for extract + steeped grains) charlie says "the most effective way to introduce the goodness of specialty grains in malt extract brewingis to add the cracked grains to the cold water as it is being brought to a boil."

Well I was worried that I would drive off the flavors I was going for. Hence the reason for cold steeping.

IMO, adding the wort to the beginning of the boil will negate your cold steeping efforts. Any aromatics and flavors saved through the cold steeping process will still just boil off. I feel the benefit in cold steeping is ensuring you don't extract tannins or harsh flavors from the grain. I mean, overall what you've ended up is probably smoother etc, but you still lose something from heating it up.

Does that make sense?

I'd go late boil or flame out. As far as that extra gallon? Boil it off beforehand.

Back