Cold steep quantity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im looking at brewing a black ipa and Im currently undecided how to achieve the black part. Im going to either, cold steep dark grain, use carafa 3 in the mash or use sinamar.

If I cold steep do I just build a recipe as usual and then take the dark malts away and steep them? Or do I need to use more/ less if Im just after colour.

Thanks

You'd use the same amount whether it's mashed or cold steeped. The only thing I do differently is that I literally turn the dark grains into a coarse flour in my coffee grinder and either put them in a nylon bag to cold steep or pour it through a fine strainer as it goes into the boil. I started adding the whole mush mess onto the top of the mash right before sparging, but the idea of the cold steep is to limit heat exposure. I now throw that dark wort into the boil at flameout just to kill the lacto for the couple minutes that the wort stays hot. I can't say for sure if either technique is better or worse.

Back