Cold Plate Vs Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
I am looking at using a plate chiller (like the thermonater) to chill my wort, but have a cold plate that I use in my jockey box and i was wondering if that could be used at long as it's recirculated through it until it reaches the correct temp?

Thoughts?

What's a "cold plate?" Is that just like a single-plate plate chiller?

I have a DudaDiesel plate chiller, and it's fantastic. It's made brewing more enjoyable because I don't have to stand there stirring my wort for 25 minutes dumping water down my driveway while I wait for the immersion chiller to finally get the wort down below 70° F. With my plate chiller and water from my outdoor faucet, the wort gets down to 60-65° F in less than 10 minutes. Granted, in the summer I have to rig up an ice water bath pre-chiller, but in the winter, it's blindingly fast. It's awesome to be able to look at the thermometer on my kettle and actually see the needle dropping.

The cold plate would work, but you would have to continue supplying it with ice. This would be fine for doing 1 or 2 small batches, but over time the cost of chilling the ice would be greater than the cost of city water doing the chilling. It would also take just as long as an IC. If you know your water temp and flowrate, and what pitching temp you are looking to achieve, I can recommend a plate chiller for you

So I live in the country in Maine, I have both free water and plenty of cold. I can even put my single plate (2 product) plate chiller in a sink and run cold water over it or submerge it.....Any reason this wouldn't work? I have 1 pump so I could even recirculate if needed....

Back