Cold or Warm Bottles when using a Beergun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Hello All,

Knowing that cold air is denser than warm air, why would you chill your bottles prior to using a beer gun...because in theory this would hold more oxygen? I ask this, because I have seen so many video's where people strongly recommend chilling your bottles, prior to using the beer gun...however I have been using my beer gun for some time with warm bottles and have had some great results.

For those that will argue cold bottles, I have no position other than science....here is my equation:

PV=nRT

where P is the pressure of each system, V is the volume of the container each system is contained in, n is the number of mols in each systerm, R is a constant (.08206) and T is the temperature of each system. For mixtures of air containing the same amount of each molecule (oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen...): solve for n, the number of mols, for each and whichever has a greater number of mols has the greater number of oxygen molecules.

Summary is that chilling a bottle will create cold air...cold air will (per same volume of space) will be denser...so why chill since oxygen is bad?

Having never used a Beer Gun myself, I can only give you what I've read from others. That said, my understanding is that chilled beer holds CO2 in suspension better, which makes sense. If you go from a chilled container to a warm one, that CO2 is broken loose, which gives you a bit of beer and a ton of foam. This is also why one has to chill tap lines in a kegerator with lines running out to a tower on top.

When cold beer hits warm glass more CO2 tends to come out of solution. By chilling the bottles more CO2 stays in solution. Has really nothing to do with oxidation, the trivial difference in density between room temp air and 32 degree air is nothing.

Edit: what I mean by trivial is that since T in PV=nRT is in degrees Kelvin you are talking about ~5-7% increase in air density going from room temp to freezing. Since the atmosphere is only 21% oxygen the increase in oxygen in the headspace would be 1-1.5% and that only if some of the air didn't get exchanged with warm air as you moved the bottles from the freezer to wherever you are bottling.

note that all the preceding math was done in my head with large rounding errors but still I'm going with RDWHAHB

You purging the bottle with co2 before filling so does it really doesn't make a difference. But the co2 in the beer definately comes out quicker when then the cold beer hits a warm bottle.

But if it is working for you, continue doing what you're doing. No need to change.

I appreciate the follow up guys! Often we read things on this site that are based purely on theory and dont have much behind it...so I appreciate all of you indulging me, and answering my questions with facts!

Back