Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntaylor0

Reaction score
I made a Russian chocolate imperial stout. Probably my best beer to date, at least all my true beer loving friends think so. I am gonna enter it in the state fair and I have a question about cold crashing:

If I cold crash for 2 weeks and then remove it will the "clearing up" remain even after the beer warms again and is allow to sit around awhile before judging?

Not a huge deal as we are talking about a beer the color of motor oil but curious as I want it to present well in the competition.

I agree that allowing the keg to warm won't cause it to cloud up, but moving the keg certainly will. Does the competition allow keg entries? That's somewhat unusual in a state fair type competition. If you bottle from the tap, you could avoid disturbing the sediment and enter a relatively clear beer. Two weeks is a rather short cold conditioning period. I would add some finings to speed up the process if I were pressed for time.

They are in bottles. I was thinking of cold crashing my already bottled and carbonated 12 ounce bottle. Sorry should have been more clear on that. 

Won't hurt. Might compact the bit of sediment a bit, might help precipitate out some proteins that, (once precipitated), won't go back into solution afterwards.

Cool. Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna brew batch number two of this today. Competition isn't until August.

As far as bottling goes, I have found that after conditioning is complete, the longer I can leave the bottle in the fridge, the more clear it becomes.

That being said, brew that sucker up and go for it. Good luck!

Back