cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
so I threw my IPA in the fridge a few days ago to cold crash because I thought my regulators and taps would be here by now but they shipped it late so it won't be here tell monday. I have the kegs already should I transfer to a keg without being able to put any co2 in the keg first or just leave it in the pale in the fridge tell monday?

I'd just leave it till the CO2 arrives...I'm a noob too...but I don't think cold crashing it for a few extra days will matter all that much. The only real negative I see with warming it up is you'll lose some of the natural CO2 you gained from fermentation, meaning it'll take longer to carbonate.

One of the forums elders, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm force carbonating so I'm not worried about length it will take to carbonate. I just don't know if you can cold crash for too long

You can cold crash for as long as you want. You are not relying on the yeast for fermentation anymore. The longer you leave it in there, the more yeast will drop out of suspension. However, don't leave the beer on the original yeast cake for over 6 weeks.

I think monday will be close to 6 weeks 5 to 5 1/2 probably I need to be better at tracking the exact days but It will be off the yeast cake monday and I know its under 6 weeks for sure

I find the best way to keep track of anything in a secondary is a wax pencil,l write the date and type ect... you can pick them up at staples for less than 5 bucks. I do it this way because I drink too much and have a memory like an ant, and I have on average 4-5 secondaries on the go most of the time.

It should be fine! Whenever you're ready, rack to keg and carb. I dont see any reason why you would have to warm the keg up if you are carbing with c02. Sugar is a different story.

Back