Quantcast

Cold Crashing Yeast In Primary After Fermentation

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zachriggle

Reaction score
I've finally got a freezer that I can do temperature control with. Works great.

However, I'd like to drop as much yeast out of suspension as possible before transferring to a keg, and I'd like to avoid a secondary for clearing. Since more things fall out of suspension after chilling, I'd like to do that step before transferring to a keg. It seems to me that, after reaching the terminal gravity, I should just be able to drop the temperature to ~40*F and have everything fall out, and the beer's already cold, and ready to go.

Are there any issues with doing this? I've heard various things about yeast cleaning up after themselves, and I imagine this may interfere with that since they'll all flocculate/go dormant.

BigFloyd

Reaction score
The course of action I like to follow for most ales is:

-Pitch a few degrees below and begin ferment on the low end of the optimal range for the yeast. Keep it there until the krausen starts to fall (around 3-5 days).

-Begin allowing a slow rise towards the higher end of optimal. This will convert diacetyl precursors (yes, ale yeast can produce it too) into diacetyl and encourage the yeast to consume it and the other normal by-products of fermentation.

-After it settles into FG, give it a few more days for the yeasties to clean up after themselves.

- Cold crash the primary to 35-37*F for 5-7 days.

- Rack the cold, clear beer to a keg or to the bottling bucket for priming.

For lagers, I add a d-rest in the low 60's for a few days after the beer gets to within 80-85% of expected FG.

BlackGoat

Reaction score
Everything that Big Floyd said. Just about exactly what I do, you'll get crystal clear beer this way.