Cold crashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhaa

Reaction score
I'm doing a light ale right now. It's kegging time and I've read many posts here about the benefits of cold crashing in the fridge for a day, before kegging. I understand the benefits of it. My question is, is there any difference in just transferring the beer from the conical to the keg and throwing it in the kegerator for a day before carbonating it? The beer is pretty clear coming out of the conical as it is.

Personal preference. You might get more settled out ahead of time and that might help long term flavor stability. Honestly if it's pretty good now I bet you wouldn't taste a difference.

You can cold crash and apply CO2 at the same time if it's in the keg, no need to wait.

Different yeasts benefit more than others. Some yeasts flocculate pretty well to start with and though cold crashing helps further it's certainly less so than with some other yeasts.

Cold crashing drops a lot of sediment out that would likely make it into the keg otherwise. It also helps the yeast cake compact so less yeast gets stirred up during the transfer. Best part is that once kegged, I can start force carbing immediately rather than waiting a day for the beer to chill.

either way. just keg it and go. whatever settles in the keg will be ejected anyway on your first pint.

Thanks all. I did a pretty good job of filtering, before I put the wort in the conical, so when I transferred the beer into the keg, it was pretty clear already. Like Odie said, the first pint will be filled with some sediment but that's ok. I'll drink it anyway.

Beer will cold crash in the bottles or kegs just as well as in the FV. So why bother?

Though if you put some murky looking beer in them you'll need to pour carefully or have a keg that draws from near the top of liquid level.

Back