Cold Crashing Lagers and EsTeR Production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walfy10

Reaction score
Hey people that cold crash lagers down to freezing, after FG reached and diacetyl rest performed, experience any esters being released from yeast due to stress? As opposed to slowly cold crashing a couple degrees each day to freezing? Is there any noticeable difference?? I want to save a week by cold crashing right away but have read it could impact flavor. Just want to see everyones' experiences

Hey people that cold crash lagers down to freezing, after FG reached and diacetyl rest performed, experience any esters being released from yeast due to stress? As opposed to slowly cold crashing a couple degrees each day to freezing? Is there any noticeable difference?? I want to save a week by cold crashing right away but have read it could impact flavor. Just want to see everyones' experiences

I never had a problem, but then I made sure my lager yeasts were well done, positively through their diacetyl rest, etc. And they don't stay on the crash long, so even if they're tripping out and squeeging lipids all over the place, I never noticed an issue (I'm sorry, I'm going on memory only from 20+ years ago, as unfortunately all my old notes were lost in a move somewhere. So can't give you exact length of the crash). I brought it right up to freezing, though, and know it was no more than 2 days. I'm vaguely remembering 24 hours.

I racked under CO2 blanket into a corny. The sanke, which served as the secondary, had it's stem cut short by 2" or so, and I transferred under very low pressure so it was quite bright already - again, going on memory.

This applied for both my lagers and ales.

I've cold crashed, as well as read things from Brulosophy as well as experiences by Denny Conn and others that cold crash instead of ramping down with positive results. No reason you couldn't either, if done right (as you alluded to). However, I'm sure there are people who will attribute negative results in their personal experiences.

Back