Cold crashing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeP87

Reaction score
Now then,

Ive currently got a pale ale fermenting away in the ferm fridge at the moment. Although the temperature is OK for fermenting the fridge appears to be no longer working. My question is - would there be issues if I syphoned into 3 sterilised 5l jerry cans and placed these into a working fridge to cold crash? I'd then simply pour the cold cashed beers into a polypin bag ready for the beer engine.

Cheers for any help.

Joe

The issue would be oxidation. A pale ale depends a lot on hoppiness, and oxidation is the enemy of those flavors and aroma. The more you expose your beer to air, the more degradation you'll have. Racking into jerry cans (interesting solution that!) that aren't purged of air will have that effect.

Is there a way you could crash it by surrounding the fermenter with ice in a tub or some such and eliminate the jerry can setup?

If you don't have the ability to cold crash vin the fermenter you can always cold crash in the keg of you are kegging.

I used to not have the space to cold crash so I just skipped the step and I had several beers that were very clear as long as I used whirlfloc along with a high flocc yeast.

What you are talking about doing will certainly introduce too much oxygen.

If you don't have the ability to cold crash vin the fermenter you can always cold crash in the keg of you are kegging.

I used to not have the space to cold crash so I just skipped the step and I had several beers that were very clear as long as I used whirlfloc along with a high flocc yeast.

What you are talking about doing will certainly introduce too much oxygen.
Even if I filled to the brim? That was the idea of using small ones so they could be completely filled. I guess I could Syphon into the polypin early and let it cold crash in there. Would just have to be careful to keep it still afterwards.

Even if I filled to the brim? That was the idea of using small ones so they could be completely filled. I guess I could Syphon into the polypin early and let it cold crash in there. Would just have to be careful to keep it still afterwards.

Depends on what's in the can before you fill it with beer. If they are full of air when you begin filling, you are going to expose the beer to a ton of O2. Keeping it still afterwards will not have any effect. Most of the damage will occur during filling.

Back