Cold Crashing in Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitack

Reaction score
So I'm working on my first attempt to cold crash. Right now my mead is in the refrigerator, but I don't think the temps get into the 40's that I've seen people talk about as optimal for cold crashing. Is there a downside to cold crashing in the freezer? I know that the water and alcohol will separate out as a freeze distillation, but is there anything wrong with dropping it in the fridge to melt and recombine after it has frozen?

I have cold crashed successfully using lowest setting in refrig...rack first, crash, rack, repeat as necessary...but the most important thing to know is: what is the temp range on your yeast because if you have a chill tolerant yeast, you need to be even more cognizant of temp.

I do not know that I would crash in freezer, definitely not in glass carboy. If you can ramp up the temp to above freezing...

If your refrigerator isn't below about 40 degrees, then your food isn't safe! You definitely want to store food at 40 degrees or cooler, so that would be a big concern to me if the fridge is too warm. Unless it's a beer fridge, of course, and you like your beer closer to 50 degrees.

Either way, the fridge should be at least 10-20 degrees cooler than room temperature which would work fine for a cold crash.

Do not freeze the mead!

Correction, fridge is in the low 40s. Pulled out my infra-red sensor.

Then drop the temp in your fridge. Yooper is right. 40 is the top for food storage.

Back