Cold crashing, fining, bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
I currently have a German blonde ale that's been fermenting for almost 2 weeks now. The yeast is currently on the tail end of the clean up phase. I have a temp controlled fridge that can be used to cold crash and such now. My question is a tad different from the often asked "If I cold crash fine with gelatin will it affect carbonation". Should the beer be allowed to warm up before/after being siphoned to the bottling bucket and before the priming sugar? The reason I ask is there is a lager brewed back in Jan that was cold crashed/fined. I used the normal 1/2 cup table sugar (plus 2 tbsp) boiled in 2 cups water for 10 min. Added the priming solution to the lager which was around 32f or so then bottled and let sit at room temps (around 68f-70f) for 4 weeks or so. Now the lagers are way over carbed. This is for a 5 gallon batch. Lager yeast was Saflager w34/70 and the yeast on the german blonde is us-05

The beer does not need to be warmed up prior to bottling. Whatever CO2 there is in the beer after fermentation, it will still be there, no matter if the beer is cold or warm. But when you use an online calculator for the correct amount of priming sugar, you are asked to input the fermentation temperature of the beer, which will help calculate the CO2 in the beer.

When the fermentation temp. is low, you will have more CO2 in the beer, thus the priming sugar amount is way less then your normal ale fermented beer.

Did you actually weigh the 1/2 cup table sugar (plus 2 tbsp)?

Yep I did weigh it. I have a scale and use the Northern Brewer online priming calculator. When it asked what the temp of the beer is I put in 68f because that's what it was going to be carbing up at. Now the current temp was more like 37f so it was going to warm up to 68f. I primed to 2.6 volumes. These are just overcarbed. I even verified the fermentation was complete via refractometer readings (multiple taken over a week). So trying to figure out where I over shot

Edit: I measured it as I was weighing it. Turned out to be 1/2 cup plus around 2 tbsp. I don't remember how many OZ it was (didn't notate so bad move on my part) but I did weigh and prime per the Northern Brewer calculator

Back