Cold crashing between primary and secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any reason/advantage/disadvantage to cold crashing for two days, then racking to the secondary, allowing to warm up to room temp, then sit in the secondary for a few months?

the reason is to get the yeast to precipitate out - if you are using an ale or wheat yeast. The advantage is that you can stop the fermentation before all the natural apple sugar is consumed and get a natural sweet or semi-sweet cider without adding chemicals or pasteurizing. The disadvantage is that you will need a keg to carbonate and it takes some practice to get the yeast to drop out reliably

My plan is for a dry still apple-cranberry cider. I used red star pasture champagne yeast for this batch. There is zero airlock activity right now but I'm going to wait a few more weeks before taking some hydro samples. Since I want to let it sit in the secondary for a few months, I was wondering if an early cold crash would help clarity, I plan on cold crashing before bottling regardless.

Cold crashing may help with the clarity. Cold crashing wont stop champange yeast, but if there is zero airlock activity, its probably done anyway

Back