Cold Crashing Before Bottle Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch, I'm just going to leave it in the carboy for a few more days. From what I understand, cold crashing helps clear up the beer by causing some particles that are still in suspension to drop to the bottom.

If I'm relying on bottle conditioning for carbonation, then will cold-crashing the beer cause some of the yeast still in suspension to drop and result in less effective carbonation in my bottles?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch, I'm just going to leave it in the carboy for a few more days. From what I understand, cold crashing helps clear up the beer by causing some particles that are still in suspension to drop to the bottom.

If I'm relying on bottle conditioning for carbonation, then will cold-crashing the beer cause some of the yeast still in suspension to drop and result in less effective carbonation in my bottles?

Thanks!

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of suspended yeaties to do the work. You may not see them, the beer may look crystal clear going into the bottling bucket, but you'll be fine. I let a kolsch "cold crash" for two weeks because I couldn't get to it. I didn't bottle any different than any other batch and had no problems with carbing. When I was bottling I cold crashed every ale I brewed. Never had a problem.

Quick question along these same lines. I'm cold crashing a Kolsch right now..... Can I take it straight from the fridge, transferr to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, then to the bottles? Or do I need to remove the carboy from the fridge and allow to warm to room temperature fbefore bottling?

Thanks for the help

Quick question along these same lines. I'm cold crashing a Kolsch right now..... Can I take it straight from the fridge, transferr to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, then to the bottles? Or do I need to remove the carboy from the fridge and allow to warm to room temperature fbefore bottling?

Thanks for the help

Yes, you can bottle it exactly as you described. It'll work just fine.

derek084 said:

Thanks for the help

As long you're storing them at room temp after you bottle to let the yeast take over you're good.

As long as you adjust for the temperature when adding your priming sugar you'll be fine.

One thing to be careful about is that oxygen is much more soluble in beer when the beer is cold. This could hasten oxidation in the beer if racking, stirring and filling while cold. Also the sugar water would be less miscible with the beer which may lead to some beers being more carbonated and others less.

Then again, RDWHAHB.

Back