Cold crashing beer that will be bottle carbonated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
I have an APA that is about to reach final gravity and will eventually be bottled with some additional sugar for carbonation.
To aid clarity, I'd like to drop some of the yeast by cold crashing, but I do not want to be left without any yeast to ferment the sugar in the bottle.

I wonder what is the advice/wisdom in relation to cold crash temperature and length of time in this situation.

Thanks in advance.
p_p

It's a non-issue.

There will still be countless billions of viable yeast in suspension ready to bottle condition after cold-crashing.

It's a non-issue.

There will still be countless billions of viable yeast in suspension ready to bottle condition after cold-crashing.

So if I go from 68F (20C) to 50F (10C) in, lets say 12 hours or less (?) and leave it there for a couple of days prior bottling, you are saying it will still carbonate without problems?

So if I go from 68F (20C) to 50F (10C) in, lets say 12 hours or less (?) and leave it there for a couple of days prior bottling, you are saying it will still carbonate without problems?

I crash my beers to 31F before I package them in kegs.

I do the same with small cider batches which I bottle.

Not an issue as long as you add the correct amount of sugar for the beer temp at the warmest it got after production of CO2 ceased. (68F)

Back