Cold crashing and hop debris

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manny101

Reaction score
After 12 days in primary and reaching termianl gravity my brew got a little cool, down to 54 degrees. I was thinking about cold crashing before bottling but I read somewhere that cold crashing will cause hop debris to rise and get into solution. Is this true? I would like to get it a little more clear before bottling. Any suggestions? It does look like more debris is in suspension since the temp dropped but not sure.

manny101 said:
After 12 days in primary and reaching termianl gravity my brew got a little cool, down to 54 degrees. I was thinking about cold crashing before bottling but I read somewhere that cold crashing will cause hop debris to rise and get into solution. Is this true? I would like to get it a little more clear before bottling. Any suggestions? It does look like more debris is in suspension since the temp dropped but not sure.

i have not experienced that, But I would suggest using a bag when you add your hop additions from now on.

I meant to use bags this time but forgot. When you do use bags do you use one bag for all the additions or a different bag for each hop addition?

manny101 said:
I meant to use bags this time but forgot. When you do use bags do you use one bag for all the additions or a different bag for each hop addition?

I use one bag for each seperate addition.

Never heard of anything rising when crashed. I crash mine to 35*F for a week and it is clear for the transfer. If hops do float when crashed I wanna know about it, but from practice I have never had it happen to me.

Cold crash it. Particles drop.

If you have doubts, use a paint strainer around your racking cane when you transfer to "filter" the beer.

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Off topic, but BierMuncher, is there anything during the brewing process that you don't have 1 or more pictures of? I'm impressed! I think you could add a picture to almost any thread.

The colder the beer is, the more readily it absorbs co2. Potentially the co2 in solution could float hop fragments when you disturb the fermenter...that's the only explanation that I can think of.

Back