Cold Crashing and Gelatin Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alby44

Reaction score
Greetings All:

This past Saturday was my 1st Brew (a Belgian Ale), so I am 3-4 excruciating weeks away from tasting the fruits of my labor.

A few questions:

-what is the suggested interval between adding gelatin and cold crashing, then cold crashing to bottling (if I have the process correct that is.).

-Once fermentation is complete @ 3 weeks, is it advisable to use gelatin and cold crash too? One or the other preferred? I live in Western PA, so access to cold temps now is no issue:mug:

-Priming Sugar? is that added after the cold crash/gelatin process is complete?

Thanks for the feedback!

Greetings All:

This past Saturday was my 1st Brew (a Belgian Ale), so I am 3-4 excruciating weeks away from tasting the fruits of my labor.

A few questions:

-what is the suggested interval between adding gelatin and cold crashing, then cold crashing to bottling (if I have the process correct that is.).

-Once fermentation is complete @ 3 weeks, is it advisable to use gelatin and cold crash too? One or the other preferred? I live in Western PA, so access to cold temps now is no issue:mug:

-Priming Sugar? is that added after the cold crash/gelatin process is complete?

Thanks for the feedback!

I like to use gelatin in secondary and I generally do it 3 or 4 days before I bottle. Times I have used gelatin it became crystal clear so I wouldn't see a need to do both. I'd pick one or the other.

These are both techniques to try to make your beer clear before you get it carbonated. So yeah you will add priming sugar once you are done doing either (or both if you chose to)

Good luck hope this helps.

You will get the best results, in my opinion, if you:
Cold crash
Let beer sit at cold-crash temps for a day or so
Add gelatin solution
Let sit a few days to a week more
Transfer to bottling bucket, add priming sugar, bottle like normal.

Plenty of people cold crash without gelatin and some people use gelatin without cold crashing, but both together is very effective!

After a cold crash, you will need to bottle condition, or prime and carbonate at warmer temps, say mid sixties minimum so the yeast can work the priming sugar into carbonation... Cold beer settles yeast while warm beer lets the yeast thrive, if food is available.

so, after fermentation, its cold crashing for a 1-2 days, gelatin afterward (an option, not obligation, but it makes sense), then back to room temps for priming and bottling? How long in the bottle to ensure proper carbonation before drinking:)

Latest posts

Back