Cold crashing and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
Pretty sure of the answer but just wanted to confirm before I execute...

Can you dry hop and cold crash at the same time? Or should I dry hop then cold crash? I am about to dry hop an IPA and then throw it in the fridge on Sunday. Any issues? Cheers!

Dry hopping works best and faster at room temp. at around 20C / 68F. You only need to dry hop 2-3 days and then cold crash. I stopeed cold crashing my hoppy beers, but I only dry hop for 2, maybe 3 days for best aroma and flavour. I tried 5,7 and 10 days and did not like the results.

It’s probably most common to dry hop at room temp but I’ve read/heard several places that about 60 is optimal. Can’t say I’ve done any side by side comparisons to say for myself. Dry hopping will have an effect at cooler temps but it’ll probably be different. If you put them in warm then cool it down in a fridge they’ll probably give up most of their aroma oils before it gets too cold.

Back