Cold crashing and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Ales and Such

Reaction score
Quick question:
I’ve recently stumbled upon cold crashing for a few days at most to help get a clearer and cleaner beer.

what I don’t understand is when to bottle.

for Ales, do I allow it to raise back to 68 degrees, then bottle? Or can I bottle at the cold crash temp and just let the bottles sit at room temperature?

for Pilsner and lagers: same question. Also: when I bottle a Pilsner or lager, do I keep the bottles at room temperature (68 degrees) or do I store the bottles at 48-50 degrees ?

thanks!

Or can I bottle at the cold crash temp and just let the bottles sit at room temperature?

That is what I have done the couple times I have bottled a cold crashed beer. Note that for priming sugar calculators that ask for "Beer Temperature" the advice I have seen is to use the highest temp during fermentation, so not the cold crash temp. I have never bottled a lager.

Cold crashing leans more towards kegging than bottle conditioning. With cold crashing you're trying to get the remaining yeast to drop out of suspension, however, with bottling you're actually using that remaining yeast to naturally carbonate your beer. Not to say it won't carb up if you cold crash first, but it will likely take longer with less yeast cells available. Regardless, after you bottle you'll want to leave it out at room temp/upper end of fermentation temp for at least a week to produce the CO2; and then I usually leave mine in the fridge for at least another week to ensure all the CO2 goes into solution. Likewise, if you're bottling a lager the longer you leave it in the fridge the clearer it will be; you're more or less lagering the beer in the bottles.

Back