Cold Crashing and Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I'm currently looking to bottle a dry hopped IPA from secondary into bottles. I'd like to cold crash it to get all the sediment to the bottom and to clear the beer. However, I also need to add priming sugar into my bottles. Would cold crashing before bottling create a flat beer due to the yeast all going dormant?

Could I use gelatin and not cold crash it if cold crashing is out of the question?

What are my options here?

I'm buying a keg setup soon, but won't have it time for this batch. Do have the ability to cold crash in my fermentation chamber (chest freezer with thermostat)

Thanks!

bottlebomber

Reaction score
What is the ABV? I just went through hell trying to get a strong IPA to bottle prime. It turns out, beers in the 10% range don't like to carb up with the yeast you fermented with. Also, IPAs usually use highly floculating strains to make matters worse. I wouldn't cold crash unless you have a lot of haze. Also long fermentations, like 6 weeks and up, almost require that you add fresh yeast before bottling to get good carb up

OP
OP
B

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
it's only a 5.5% abv IPA, on the lighter side. I had it in primary for 1 week and secondary will be 2 weeks.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
You've put it in a secondary? I wouldn't cold crash.... you've already taken it off the yeast. Also, a week in primary is kind of short. Unless your wanting to dry hop AND save yeast, I don't think secondary is necessary. But to answer your question, a week of CC isn't going to hurt, although after a few days in the fridge the beer "cold crashes" in the bottle