Cold Crashing an Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadGrady

Reaction score
I decided to take my blonde ale that is ready to be bottled and try cold crashing it. It's currently in the garage with my lager at 2C. It's been there for 6 hours and I can notice the beer getting lighter, kinda like the Lager but not as defined.

I pitched this with Nottingham Ale Yeast. I see there's a lot of posts here going back n forth on cold crashing and killing yeast etc. I am thinking that since yeast can be frozen, that they will come back to life when I warm the beer back up for bottle conditioning? I hope so, cause I have 25L sitting out in my garage at 2C... :drunk:

Does cold crashing affect carbonation?

Other than that, I can't believe how much clearer the beer is after just a few hrs in the cold. My Lager is getting super super clear too now after only a couple weeks.. Looks almost like apple juice..
Another question... Is it normal to see little tiny specs of yeast (Im guessing) clinging to the inside of the carboy at the bottom during lagering? Its my first lager in a carboy and I noticed this last week. However, it does seem to be dropping. Its almost like a fine dusting.

There are always enough yeast cells to carbonate the beer, for the most part

Back